Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shaking, jerking & engine light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2011, 10:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Shaking, jerking & engine light

Beginning of Feb had to replace a cam sensor. Yesterday I had the same symptoms, had to be towed again and am waiting to hear. Is this something I should start worrying about? If something like this happens once, is it going to be an on-going problem. Want to retire soon and DO NOT want a car payment? What about the average life expectancy? Mine is a 2005 Turbo.
Thanks in advance
eileen
Old 25 Mar 2011, 06:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Shaking, jerking & engine light

eileen,

Be nice if you introduced yourself instead of just jumping in with a question.

Yep, you can expect to be replacing the sensors quite a bit because your probably using non-Chrysler parts. For electrical parts, only use genuine Chrysler/MOPAR parts from the dealer. They cost more but once they are changed, you won't be doing it again.

Also check the wiring harness in case there's a break somewhere.

Average life expectancy? Forever, if you keep up the regular and preventative maintenance but don't forget, every car wears out and no parts are actually "lifetime" guaranteed.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 07:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hi Eileen! Yes, what Crewzin said. Many repair shops will use an after-market sensor as they are half the price of the OEM sensors. However, they just do not last. Make sure they install an OEM sensor this time.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 05:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you both for your input. It is working fine again. I am a little paranoid because I had an '03 Cruiser that did something similar, but much worse. The local dealer service department deemed it unsafe to drive but could not find what was wrong with it. They hooked it up to something that, when it happened to me on the road and I broke down, I could push a button and they may be able to find the problem. The car was 1 1/2 years old and under full warranty. Was towed 4 times and Chrysler would not do anything.
Knowing a lot of others with PT's and no problems, I took a huge loss and boght another one!! This is the first problem I've had. Unfortunately I couldn't get the local dealer to contact me or set an appointment, so after 2 days of trying I had it towed to a really good local repair shop. They didn't charge me for this repair. Can you just hear my frustration? Sorry.
Thank you again.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad your back up and running. Strange that you got another PT after the problems with the first. Most people would certainly shy away from the same kind of car. Sounds like you found a good mechanic.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 09:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I fell in love with the cruiser 2 years before it came on the market. I had some models on my desk and had to fight the grand-kids so they would leave them alone! Then, when they did show up at the dealerships, the cost was double the value in my area and I was not going to pay those prices. I patiently waited til 2003 when the cost equaled the value. I just love them, so I took a chance on a 2nd one and it has paid out. Been from WA state to WI and MO 3 times plus shorter vacations. Never a problem. Plenty of room for the dog and suitcases.
Yep. I'm a happy camper again.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 11:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

I took the advice found here and bought my Camshaft Position Sensor from the dealer when mine failed on the 06 at 70056 miles. Have not had a problem since putting about 6000 more miles on it.

I will say, they are not much more at the dealer than the best grade ones you get at the other parts places ... just that I have gotten the lower grade parts several times when I paid for and asked for the better or best grade at several places.

I will be changing my igintion wires again to fix the miss I got from the best quality aftermarket wires. The dealer wires were only $4 more. Now I get to spend another $35 for gaskets and plugs again becuase I did not buy from dealer.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 27 Mar 2011, 09:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

if you mean the intake gasket you dont have to replace that every time i pulled my plugs replaces the gasket but the E 3's I put in did not like the Pt so i pulled them and i did nto change the gasket and it sealed up nice and tight

eileenb I know some will tell you that the "REAL" sensors don't have to come from the dealer and you can believe that if you want but most of us on here KNOW there is a big difference so the ones that say MOPAR will work a lot better