Advertisements
Brake pad replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2011, 12:57 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT
Default Brake pad replacement

Hey all,
I'm needing to replace my front brake pads, and was hoping someone had a good walkthrough. I've found a few on line, but they are a bit vague.
Thanks ahead!
Old 26 Mar 2011, 11:12 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Brake pad replacement

Hi Creepy, the pads I buy from Pepboys have fairly good instructions in them with full on color photos for reference. So go buy a good set, but ask the parts person if there are instructions included. If they are not the same department may have a good print out for you. Also buy a bleader kit so you can open the bleader cock while depreesing the brake caliper as straight as possible. I suggest you buy a small container of brake fluid to. You will need a large C clamp to.

It is fairly easy and you should give yourself 1 to 1-1/2 hours including clean up. Some of the shops will true up or "turn" the disks for $10 or $15 bucks each, but its not always neccessary. I bought my pads from Pepboys and they gave me a coupon for $8 turning.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 02:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

the pt is about as easy to change the pads asn any car i have worked on just pull the 2 bolts and pull the pads compress the piston and go back with new there may be a sticky in the tec section
Old 26 Mar 2011, 07:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i agree, actually any pads on any car are the easiest thing to do.
ok so take off the tire after you put the car on jacks of course.

so the pistion will be behind the rotor. The area's that i've circled are where the bolts are.
take'em out and slide the caliper off. take off the pad that goes in the front but keep the one on the piston there.
get a c-clamp and use the pad to push the piston back in.
once you do that, get your new pads and on the back of them put some anti-sequel solution, i can't remember what its called.

my pads came with little springs on the top of them. don't do anything to the springs leave them be. there's gonna be a groove in the center of the caliper houseing where the springs will stay.
just try to remember which pad goes where. my pads had some type of metal piece on two of them, in a set of four of course. You just gotta remember where that lil piece of metal goes. I can't remember which pad it was on but i think it was on the pad that lays against the piston.
ok so once you have your pads in place just slide the housing back onto the rotor. there's a rubber boot where the bolt goes, you may need to push it in, in order to make the housing slide back into place.
When your done with that, bolt it up again and move on to the next one.
it originally took me like 45 min's to do the first one but i was talking on the phone with a tipsy friend. lol but the second one took about 5 min's totally, from taking off the tire, replacing the pads and putting the tire back on.
i hope this helps.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

good job woflman nice pics
Old 26 Mar 2011, 09:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Exceptional write up in the Mod Bible over at PTCrew.com
Old 26 Mar 2011, 10:40 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
good job woflman nice pics
thanx, i just recently changed mine so it was still fresh in my mind. sorry i didn't use technical terms but you get the point lol
Old 02 Apr 2011, 07:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT

Thanks guys for the help. Between this post and the PTCrew post, it was a very easy change.
Unfortunately, I unded up changing out the rotors as well. The passenger side was in fine condition, and smoothly worn. But the outside pad on the driver side was worn completely to the metal underneath, and had chewed on the rotor pretty good. Fortunately I'd gotten the rotors, just in case, so I didn't have an extra trip to make. Plus, when I went back to the passenger side to replace that rotor, I found I hadn't gotten one of the pads seated correctly, and one side of the spring clip was popped out through the outside of the caliper. So changing the rotors also kept me from finding a mistake later at a potentially worse time and place.

Once again, thanks to all for your help. Car information is all over the place, but getting car specific information is always so much more helpful.
Old 02 Apr 2011, 07:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyPT View Post
Thanks guys for the help. Between this post and the PTCrew post, it was a very easy change.
Unfortunately, I unded up changing out the rotors as well. The passenger side was in fine condition, and smoothly worn. But the outside pad on the driver side was worn completely to the metal underneath, and had chewed on the rotor pretty good. Fortunately I'd gotten the rotors, just in case, so I didn't have an extra trip to make. Plus, when I went back to the passenger side to replace that rotor, I found I hadn't gotten one of the pads seated correctly, and one side of the spring clip was popped out through the outside of the caliper. So changing the rotors also kept me from finding a mistake later at a potentially worse time and place.

Once again, thanks to all for your help. Car information is all over the place, but getting car specific information is always so much more helpful.
Anytime bro. We're always here to help.