PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Did we messed up the timing while changing the timing belt ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Mar 2011, 10:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Did we messed up the timing while changing the timing belt ??

Hi Guys

I've been lurking this site for a couple of years now and it has been very helpful but this time I can't find the solution to my problem in any other thread so I have to ask for help.

Now, I noticed that a lot of time when people ask for help they are been asked for more information so I'll just write down everything I know, but please excuse the length of my post.

Well here's my story:

2004 PT base, 76K miles, 2.4L (non turbo)

Weird noises when accelerating made us check the timing belt and sure enough it was worn out.

Order a set of belt + pulley + tensioner + water pump from RockAuto

My mechanic friend changed the timing belt, we even did the "turn the crankshaft 2 revolutions to make sure everything is in place" and every thing looked fine.

Turned the engine on and it dies, unless we rev the engine up. We did look for vacuum leaks but couldn't find none.

As far as check engine lights: strange story - when we first started the car the check engine light was on, I hooked up my scanner (I have one of those basic ones) and it showed 4 codes, while it was still hooked up the car died and the scanner showed the "error link" message. since it is a simple scanner I couldn't check the history to retrieve those codes so we just hooked it up again and to my surprise it now shows that there are no codes !!! the only code I can remember seen is the P0172 (Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1).

After talking to the mechanic and going through every thing that he has done we notice 2 things which might cause the problems:

1. While trying to put the belt on, the intake camshaft turned about 1/6 of a turn lockwise (he said it felt like the piston fell...?) and he just turned it back to place COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (again: belt was off)

2. While trying to align the crankshaft with the oil pump mark he turned it about 1/8 turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (belt was off)

my questions are:

-Did he messed the timing up by turning the crankshaft or camshaft counter clockwise, even if not a full revolution ?
-If so how can that be repaired ?
-If not, what can make the engine run so rough? like I said we looked for vacuum leaks but found none?
-Should I have any codes if the timing is off?
-Is it dangerous to keep the engine running (in park) in this situation? the reason I'm asking is because I think I read people said that the PCM needs to do some kind re-learning while the engine was running...?

THANK A LOT guys. I hope some one can help and again I'm sorry for posting such a long thread.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 12:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Did we messed up the timing while changing the timing belt ??

The marks need to be lined up. You can move each component back and forth,
but the marks need to line up when assembled.

Google, then read for procedure:

ptcruiserworkshopmanual.pdf
Old 26 Mar 2011, 01:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I actually have the service manual, but we noticed (too late of course ) that it says not to turn the shafts counter clockwise.

The question is does that mean that you can't move it counter clockwise AT ALL or does it mean not to go a full revolutions back. the reason I'm asking is that on my bike (which is obviously a lot simpler) if I miss the DTC I can turn the Crankshaft back a little just to make sure everything is in place.

Thanks again

Matt
Old 26 Mar 2011, 01:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

it doesn't matter which way you've turned the crank.
They tell you this because it puts in-ordinate pressure on the tensioner,
which is to take slack out of belt, NOT act as the loaded idler.
Turning the engine clockwise ensures there's no tension in the idler side,
leading to accurate assessment of timing marks.

You need to ensure the marks are lined up, DON'T worry about what's happened to shafts.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

good news! we'll go a head and open everything back up and see if we missed a anything.

Thanks!
Old 02 Oct 2013, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: Did we messed up the timing while changing the timing belt ??

i am having the same problem all my marks are in place the crank rotated by hand.(socket) marks rechecked and when i go to start it it will start. then will not restart when i check the timing again the crank is one tooth off.everything is new.