PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
weird stalling problem

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Mar 2011, 07:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default weird stalling problem

i just bought a 2003 pt cruiser with 72k miles on it manual transmission non turbo. car fax looks good as all the required service were recorded on there. i have drivin it about 1000 miles so far and i noticed when i drove it would sometimes stall coming to a stop when engine returns to idle speed.it doesnt sputter or surge it just turns off but all the power and lights remain on. it re-starts very easy and most likley wouldnt do it again for the remainder of the trip or day depending on how long it sat, also it only does it within first miles or two if you come to a stop. and now it seems as though after driving it even for some period of time when coming to a stop the rpm's will dip down to 500 rpms then go back up or sometimes just run a little rough at idle.
it doesnt always do these 2 things but it has been doing them on and off. i started to think maybe it was a loose battery cable but its a new battery and the cables are tight and clean. the car drives fine and doesnt seem to run bad but occasionally at idle and the stalling in the first mile or two but when driving at a constant speed or threw traffic it runs great. no trouble codes and no check engine light.
2nd problem is with the AC it is cold for a min or two then it seems like the compressor is going on and off, and if you give it gas air comes out of the bottom of the compressor like its purging or something. i dont really know to much about AC in cars so i am notsure how the system works. also the idle is pretty rough at idle with AC on and its hard to keep it at a constant rpm's

Last edited by stevenmh; 27 Mar 2011 at 07:47 pm. Reason: add info on the car
Old 27 Mar 2011, 07:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: weird stalling problem

Your stalling problem could be the IAC (Idle Air Controller) attached to the throttle body. It can be taken off and cleaned or just replaced. It controls the idle as you come to a stop. The below picture shows where the IAC is located.

Since you know very little about the A/C I suggest you take it to a place that does. The purging of the R134a out of the compressor means that it's overheating and building up pressure. There's a few different things that could be wrong for the A/C compressor to build up pressure so you need to have the system checked out professionally. There's lots of places to take it that will do a free A/C check. You don't have to have the work done after it's diagnosed but unless you can do what they suggest, it won't get fixed.
chicagobob12 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well i can perform the repais im a motorcycle tech so i am a little bit mech inclined ha. but could the AC over heat in just a min maybe two min at the most? I just read about the IAC but seems like people are having similiar problems with it as i am just strange on how it only does it in the first mile or two and then it doesnt after that. it will still sometimes drop to 500 rpm's but seems like the longer the trip the less it doesnt any of this if that makes sense
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm not a mechanic, just passing on information that I know or have heard on the 9 years this forum has been active. Things that go bad don't always have the same results each time. Some people have the fan motor burn out and never have a problem of overheating. Other overheat if only one of the two speeds of the motor burn out. The A/C can overheat when the fan motor goes or if the levels of the R134a are not right. There's also the high and low pressure sensors that can go out. How long it takes to over-pressurize or overheat depends on different factors.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 08:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

just went out and looked at the car, the fan comes on when it gets up to temp, however the fan doesnt come on when i turn the ac on, was going to switch out the spare J relay but it isnt there =(. anyway going to try and find one tomorrow, and then try that i live in AZ and its almost that time of year so AC is the number 1 priority right now if you know what i mean. then ill take the car to the shop around the corner and see if the refridgrent is at normal levels.
get to the IAC after that
Old 03 Apr 2011, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok so i cleaned the IAC at work, when itook it out the daigphram wasnt really moving in and out freely so i put the IAC in carb cleaning machine and cleaned out all the carbon i could get to where the IAC plugs in. problem solved wiith the stalling/idle issues! next step replacing fan assy. anyone have any luck with non oem fans? cause the oem one is a pretty penny
Old 03 Apr 2011, 02:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The fans with the housing can be bought on eBay for around $100. It's hit and miss weather you get a good one. I think they are all made overseas somewhere. I replaced mine lots of years ago from eBay and it's been working fine ever since.

Check out the top of this Tech & Performance section in the HOW TO thread for help in replacing the fan and housing.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Apr 2011 at 02:22 pm.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was experiencing this very same problem: warm engine stalling when slowing down or coming to a stop. I read somewhere in this thread that the Idle Air Control valve could be removed and cleaned. So I decided to give it a try.

My 2003 PT Cruiser has just one mounting screw. It requires a Torx screwdriver and it was a little awkward to access the screw, but the IAC valve was fairly easy to remove. It was fairly dirty. I sprayed a little WD40 on it and wiped it down. (I did not have any carburetor cleaner.)

I re-installed it, and my car has been running perfectly ever since. I purchased a new IAC valve, just in case, but it doesn't look like I will need it. It cost about $48.

If you are having a similar problem I certainly recommend giving this solution a try. It's not that difficult to do. And even if it doesn't fix your problem, it won't make anything worse.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 05:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would pull the throttle body off and give it a good cleaning with throttle body spray.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 14 Aug 2014, 08:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin,

I wanted to let you know that I have solved more problems with my 2003 PT cruiser because of your advice and guidance than you could ever imagine. Chrysler and Daimler should put you in the PT Cruiser Hall of Fame. I registered with this forum, just to express my appreciation and graditude for your knowledge and expertise. Thanks Man...chicagobob12