Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Chattering door locks again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Chattering door locks again

I had this problem a few years ago, along with an erratic starting problem. The shop fixed it, and I think they replaced both the RKE and the starter key switch. Now it's back, but it's only the chattering door locks.

The two locks on the rear door begin to lock and unlock very rapidly, making a chattering sound. This happens at random times, but usually when I hit the break pedal. I took it to a mechanic who said I needed to replace the driver side door lock switch. Long story short, I wound up at a different mechanic shop and had him install the new switch, but it didn't help.

There is a new aspect this time. Even when I turn the car off and remove the key, the read door locks begin chattering and do that for about 5 seconds. When I told the mechanic, he says that indicates the alarm system. This is like a detective story, and I'm leaving the car with him later this week, but does this symptom indicate an RKE switch or is there another component that could give the same symptom? I don't want to keep replacing parts until I find the faulty one. And, if I did have the RKE replaced three years ago (I'll have to check), they sure don't last long.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 08:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Chattering door locks again

Forgot to mention, it's a 2003 Turbo. Also, I found the receipt for the work done a few years ago when I also had the erratic starting, and they replaced the ignition switch and the battery cables. Doesn't look like they replaced the RKE. Interesting, though, that just by replacing the ignition switch the door locks stopped chattering until now.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 04:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

My duaghters 01 LE did this after getting it back from the body shop when a cell phone talker rammed my kids car into a Charger. The body shop never could fix, the dealer ship did after several trips. Turned out to be the sensors in the front passenger door which they worked on and in the rear hatch, which they did massive work on. I believe I found the info about this problem here, maybe one of your posts from the last time. Has anyone been inside your doors lately?

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 28 Mar 2011, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did have a rear ender and a new hatch back. Wonder if the hatch back lock sensor is responsible?