Advertisements
PCV Valve Replacement

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2011, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking PCV Valve Replacement

Hi all,

New to the forum. Love my 2006 PT Cruiser!

What I'm looking for help on is can anyone give me instructions on how to replace the PCV Valve. Would rather DIY then pay a shop the big bucks.

Thanks so much!!

Old 28 Mar 2011, 03:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PCV Valve Replacement

I'm not sure if they changed it on the 06+ cruisers but it's probably the easiest thing you can do. First find it, might be the same as the picture below, then take off the rubber/plastic hose and unscrew the valve. Screw the new valve in, attach the rubber/plastic hose ...and your done.

P.S. The above is NOT my PT Cruiser.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 10:13 pm
Cool Cruiser

Like CREWZIN said, it's an easy job. But when I changed mine, I somehow dropped the old one down to something below, can't see it or get it out. I believe it won't damage anything.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 06:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

When I changed mine I found that someone before me went gorilla on that part, they cracked the intake where the valve screws into it, my guess is it was overtightened...I was able to "fill" the crack with high temp silicone and it seems to be OK. Just don't get carried away when you tighten it.
Old 20 Feb 2013, 10:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: PCV Valve Replacement

I screwed my old one out with an open end wrench. I cleaned it until it was functioning right. I wrapped Teflon tape around the threads and screwed it gently back in. Be careful when dealing with plastic. I must add... The person I bought this car from tried everything to get it to idle better. I pulled the main hose off the throttle body and found the problem. I cleaned the filthy throttle body with carburetor cleaner. The smoke bellowed from the exhaust as my engine ran itself to a much much better idle. I hope to keep it running this good by using fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank every few thousand miles.
Old 13 Jun 2013, 01:25 am
Young Cruiser

Going to try this tomorrow morning on the wife's 2006.

it's drinking a lot of oil. and differently from all other reports: absolutely no white smoke, and neither burnt oil smell. nothing. nada.

btw, here's a picture of the later gen:

Also, do you all have that small oil(?) stain on the other end of the hose? seems suspicious. Will probably add a clamp there later.

Lastly, anyone know anything about the spec torque for this thing? i know it's hard to screw with plastic but still...
Old 13 Jun 2013, 02:29 am
Regular Cruiser

I hooked up a catch can in between the pcv valve and the rubber hose. Seems to be getting filled up with a lot of crap.

Old 13 Jun 2013, 04:21 am
Senior Cruiser

The torque for the pcv valve is 70 INCH pounds. But it will be less if teflon tape or a sealer is used.

Check the hose by the manifold for cracks/rot. Looks iffy.

Nice pics guys!
Old 13 Jun 2013, 09:23 am
Veteran Cruiser

I doubt dropping it would affect anything, transmission linkage is down there but I don't know there any trap area where it could jam any thing- and leverage is so high arm would likely just break it anyways.

Crewzin is right- Only know this because looked up valve cover supercession- It goes all the way to '10.
Turbo does have a different placement.

You're not supposed to clean PCV- Don't know why- But this is what everyone says. But, hey, if it works Jollanza, you've done the job correctly!!!

I wouldn't bother about torque- you'd need a special torque wrench for 70 in lbs- Just finger tighten it then go a little further; it's not going to fall out as plastic has 'plasticity'. It won't leak, and even if there wasn't a 'perfect' seal it's not going to affect anything

I use formagasket #3 on items like this. It's old school, but can't be improved upon for several purposes- But again, if it works ...
Old 13 Jun 2013, 09:45 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb View Post
Going to try this tomorrow morning on the wife's 2006.

it's drinking a lot of oil. and differently from all other reports: absolutely no white smoke, and neither burnt oil smell. nothing. nada.

btw, here's a picture of the later gen:

Also, do you all have that small oil(?) stain on the other end of the hose? seems suspicious. Will probably add a clamp there later.

Lastly, anyone know anything about the spec torque for this thing? i know it's hard to screw with plastic but still...
I had the same oil stain there and at the other end as well. Replaced the hose and cleaned the manifold, 5 months later no hose. My advice. Drop $4 and replace the hose :-D haha

Tags
2006 pt cruiser, pcv valve