PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Do I really need to use Champion Plugs!?!?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2011, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to echo
Default Do I really need to use Champion Plugs!?!?!?!

A little over due for my 50000 tune up on my 09 when I checked the manual for replacement plugs and it said Champions!? I have never put a Champion in anything even a lawn mower. Tell me there is something better for these things out there? What have other enthusiest used and with what success? Would love more throttle responce and lower end jump and I know a better plug will help (as would new coil wires etc etc but gotta start somewhere).
Old 28 Mar 2011, 05:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Do I really need to use Champion Plugs!?!?!?!

wow, you must be driving fords if you've never used champ's. lol i just recently did mine. I used champs double platinum. i think the gap is at .040 or .045 can't remember. but you don't have to use champs. you can use autolite, ngk or nkg something like that, bosch.
autolite is more for fords, hence the starting comment.
Champs are for just about everything so are ngk's
bosch i wouldn't recommend. some ppl like the four prong thing they have going on but it's a waste of money. the spark connects to one prong at a time.
Tho's r my thoughts, but it's your decision.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input. I have mostly ran fords or imports. They almost always asked for NGKs which have worked fine but I wouldn't say were anything to write home about. I guess I need to start shopping. Any one out there found some working better or worse then others?
Old 28 Mar 2011, 06:32 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Here Echo, check this out. Coil and spark plug wire question? there's another link in there that i posted that u might want to read up on too.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks I'll check up on it. I was reading info on NGK plugs and can't decide if there V-Power design or the Iradiums are better? Next brand on the google list.................
Old 29 Mar 2011, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
A little over due for my 50000 tune up on my 09 when I checked the manual for replacement plugs and it said Champions!? I have never put a Champion in anything even a lawn mower. Tell me there is something better for these things out there? What have other enthusiest used and with what success? Would love more throttle responce and lower end jump and I know a better plug will help (as would new coil wires etc etc but gotta start somewhere).
All any plug can do is replace any power you may have lost due to a worn plug - if you get better throttle response from a plug change, then your car was running crappy on bad plugs.
Your wires are probably shot - don't buy stock ones, almost any name brand replacement wire will be better than stock, and do not waste money on a coil - the stock coil is fine, and there have actually been more failures with replacement coils.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Mar 2011, 10:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

I replaced my plugs recently and just put in the exact same Champion plugs that were put in the car by the dealer at 30,000 miles. My PT has 72,000 miles on it and the engine has always run very well on the Champs--and keeps on going and going ....

I was a little leery of using Champs because I had always used NGK and Bosch plugs in the past. But my PT seems to do okay with Champions--so why fix what ain't broke?

By the way, I didn't use any fancy Champions. Just the regular stock plug.

Tim
Old 29 Mar 2011, 11:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well i can tell you that the NEW E 3s did not work in mine had to pull them and go back to champions just saying
Old 30 Mar 2011, 12:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
All any plug can do is replace any power you may have lost due to a worn plug - if you get better throttle response from a plug change, then your car was running crappy on bad plugs.
Your wires are probably shot - don't buy stock ones, almost any name brand replacement wire will be better than stock, and do not waste money on a coil - the stock coil is fine, and there have actually been more failures with replacement coils.
Excellent post.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 07:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
Excellent post.

Aw shucks