PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
CAI suggestions?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2011, 10:46 am
Young Cruiser

Default CAI suggestions?

I was just wondering if anyone out here has any good suggestions for a CAI system. I have found a few but I'm just not sure of which one to get. Haven't been able to get any goo consumer reviews on any of the ones I've seen. Thank you for any and all replies. I appreciate all the input.

Jeff 137k and rolling.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 11:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: CAI suggestions?

If you truly want cold air, look at the K&N Apollo.
If you just want a less restrictive intake, look at for sale here and on other PT Forums - I got my K&N FIPK used off a forum for abourt 1/2 price of new, and you clean and re-use the filter.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Don't expect any increase in power. You'll even lose a bit. They do look full race, but the look and a different sound is all you'll really get. If you have to have the look and the sound then, as Don said, buy used as they are so overly priced it isn't funny. IMHO I'd just get the K&N drop in filter. Replaces the stock filter and at around $30 is a lot better being a closed system not sucking hot air.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Well really I'm just looking for something that will replace the air box. I've been looking and I've found a fairly inexpensive Airaid system for about 170-180$. I'll get a link to it. Amazon.com: Airaid Cold Air Intake for 2001 - 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser: Automotive. I was wondering if any of you would have any reservations about this or if it would be a waste of time. It sounds like just changing the filter would be more worth my while than doing anything else.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 01:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

I had the airraid system and is one of the better made ones in that it blocks off the heat from the engine. Only problem is the shield rubs the hood liner and cuts into the insualtion after a while as it really does seal that tight.

Went back to the factory box modified and dropped in a K&N filter. This is proven to have the most gain verses other intake setups......but i agree it doesnt look as good as other ait intake setups.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I had an AirAid on my '02 - it gave quicker throttle response and sounded great.
I don't know about power, never dyno'd, but it sure doesn't hurt mileage - I am getting 25+ MPG OVERALL with my '05 turbo lite & K&N FIPK with an AUTO!
I record all fill-ups - and got just a tad less on my '02.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Mar 2011, 07:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Airaid is a pretty good system cause it pretty much closes off any hot air. Go for it.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:56 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for all the replies. Look like I can mod it on the cheap and still get a quality system. ha ha. That ought to make gramps happy (car was a gift from the gpa)! he he he.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You running a turbo or NA???
Old 30 Mar 2011, 11:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
Don't expect any increase in power. You'll even lose a bit. They do look full race, but the look and a different sound is all you'll really get. If you have to have the look and the sound then, as Don said, buy used as they are so overly priced it isn't funny. IMHO I'd just get the K&N drop in filter. Replaces the stock filter and at around $30 is a lot better being a closed system not sucking hot air.
QFT, except the K&N part.

But if it SOUNDS faster ...

Want faster? Take out your rear seats if you're not using them.