Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt tensioner question - 04 PT 2.4L

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2011, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt tensioner question - 04 PT 2.4L

As I posted a few days ago we're trying to replace a timing belt on a 2004, 2.4L PT.

After putting everything together we started the car up but it ran rough and was obviously out of timing.

when we open everything up again we saw that the car was out of timing. We started questioning the way we located the tensioner , and think that might be the cause for the engine to go out of timing.

here's our thoughts and I'll appreciate any help or comments:

The guide says to:

"(5) Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley.

Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will eventually start to move clockwise.

Watching the movement of the setting notch, continue rotating the top plate
counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang (Fig. 171).

Using the allen wrench to prevent the top plate from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt to 25 Nm (220 in. lbs.).

Setting notch and spring tang should remain aligned after lock nut is torqued.

(6) Remove allen wrench and torque wrench."

My problem is that I can't bring the tensioner setting notch to align with the spring tang. when I Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE, the tensioner setting notch moves very little . as I keep turning the resistants goes up until a certain point when it feels like something got loose and the resistants again is very low and the setting notch goes back to it's initial position.

- I'm trying to align the setting notch with the spring tang while the belt is off (to make things easier and lower the risk of damaging anything) - can that be the reason?

-I got my set from rockauto and it should fit 2003-2008 models, any chance that the procedure is different for the newer tensioner?

I just bought another tensioner from the dodge dealership but it looks like it is acting the same so it must be something that I'm doing wrong....

Thanks guys