Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2011, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Overheating Issue

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser with 121,000 miles. Just last week I had the timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket, thermostat, and coolant sensor replaced. A couple of days after I got the car home, it started overheating. I took it back to the shop so they could determine what was the problem. After a couple of hours of searching they "discovered" the wiring to the fan was not working properly, and would need to be replaced. Even though I had my doubts, as the fan was working properly before, I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and agreed to get it replaced the next morning. On the way home from the shop, I notice the car driving weird, it jumps a bit when I let go of the gas, the speedometer isn't working, and as I get on the highway I notice that I can't go over 35 MPH. The car skips, and jumps. I immediately take the car back to the shop, and let the guy know because the engine light has come on as well. He does something for a few minutes, and tells me to drive around the block, and come back. When I get down the street the car begins to overheat again, and I come back. He asks me to leave it over night so he can look at it in the morning. I get a call back the next day, and he tells me my computer is my car has shorted out because it is built in such a way that water spills over on it. Does this sound bogus to anyone else? Is there any validity here? I spent quite a bit of money only to have my car mess up in places it never has before.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 07:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating Issue

If that's true, then how come your the ONLY one that ever came to the forum and told us that. He's obviously lying and probably fried the computer and trying to cover it up. Sounds like the shop didn't know what they are doing from the beginning. Did you know the shop before you took it in for the timing belt? Did someone recommend them?
Old 29 Mar 2011, 11:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did not know the shop before I took it there, I was in a bind and needed my car, and they were able to start on it the soonest. It didn't sound right to me either, and I figured I had been taken for a ride. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the help.
Old 05 Sep 2011, 06:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I also have an overheating problem. It's my first car so I have NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING!!!!! It all started when my air started blowing hot. I then added freon thinking that it would solve the problem but it didn't. Next the battery went out on me. I recharged it so I could get another battery but the car overheated before I could get out on the road. I have no idea why this is happening so if anyone has any ideas PLEASE let me know!!!!!!
Old 05 Sep 2011, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You need to find someone that knows how to run diagnostics and figure out your problems. A lot of overheating is because the fan motor burns out but there's a host of other things like the radiator, thermostat, loss of coolant, broken head gasket and lack of coolant which could all cause the overheating problems. First you need to start with a good battery so it needs to be checked out. Many auto stores will do a battery and charging system test for free.
Old 05 Sep 2011, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Another reason to have this done by the dealer. Maybe a little higher at the dealer but they do know what they are doing.

Tags
computer, motor fan, overheat, timing belt, water pump