Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 no turn signal or headlight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Mar 2011, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 no turn signal or headlight

Hi everyone. This is my first post, though I have skimmed the forums here pretty much since I bought the car back in 06.

The problem I am having is that my driver's side headlight stopped working about a year+ ago. I've tried switching out the bulb and that isn't the issue. My mechanic said the thing is getting power and couldn't figure it out. I've lived with that, and the occasional cop pulling me over to ask about it.

The other day my passenger side turn signal stopped working. When flipping the lever it flashes about twice as fast as normal at the dash, but nothing at the actual lights (both front and back). Today the driver's side turn signal started doing the same thing. I've replaced the bulbs, as in other cars I've had in the past this was usually the issue, but still nothing. I am dreading having to replace the PDC, but if that is what it will take then I'll do it. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, wipers still work, although they have been...... odd for awhile, sometimes turning on when in the off position (having to turn it to mid way to get the slowest sleep which just boggles me). Then it randomly reverts to normal. Fuses are fine.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 12:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 no turn signal or headlight

Welcome to the Forum. To me it sounds like the Multifunction Switch (turn signal module) is bad. There have been many complaints like yours and we always suggest replacing it. Check Rock Auto and/or Dealer.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 30 Mar 2011, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This was pretty much the line of thinking I was following, but wanted to make sure before trying to take apart the steering column. Anyone have some instructions on how to do this on an 06?
Old 30 Mar 2011, 03:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Should be ALMOST the same as the previous years. The instructions are in the tech and Performance section under the HOW TO heading.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Of course after I posted that I found the step by step. Of course now the car is refusing to start (just keeps clicking like the started is out). Took the battery to the local autozone and it checked out fine. Really not sure what the heck is happening now, unless the starter just decided to go out at the same time as teverything else. Replaced the battery cables too and still nothing.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the 06 is running again. Replaced the starter, which I'll get into in a second, and still nothing. Polished the heck out of the battery posts and cables and left the battery to charge overnight, which did the trick.

Now I looked around a lot about how to take out the starter and whatnot. I looked at the service manual I bought a long time ago. Every way about it said to remove the block collar, which for the life of me I couldn't see amongst all the other things under the car. In looking around the engine bay I really just couldn't see any reason removing this collar was needed, at least in an '06.

I managed to get the top bolt out pretty easily once the battery was removed (and charging away). The bottom bolt was the hardest. That took about an hour of turning the wrench one click at a time; half of that was just getting the bolt to loosen. Once those were out we could lift the starter through the battery opening. Took a lot less time to get the new starter in and wired up, though people should be careful not to let the green wire that sits on the same post as the battery lead, touch the other terminals on the starter. That was an interesting experience.

About to go pull the steering column apart to pull the MFS and wiper switches and see if I can clean them up a bit, hoping that will at least help my problem with the lights.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 11:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Sure hope I don't have to do these on my 06 .... but I did both on my daughters 01. I did not see the reason to remove the collar either, I can't recall if I did. I know I had to take the Bender out of there or I could not get the starter out of the confined space. My 06 is manual, so I don't have all that ... the 01 is auto and does. Good luck on the MFS. The hardest part on the 01 was trying to figure out how to release the wiring harness from it, a mirror is very handy to do this.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 01 Apr 2011, 01:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

The '06 is a manual as well (only type I like driving unless I'm in a mini cooper), but the service manual I have still said I needed to remove it. I didn't have to remove anything other than the battery and move a set of wires right above the starter bolt next to the battery tray.

The MFS and wiper switch really weren't a big deal to take off. Need a stubby philips to remove a screw for the wiper switch as its right up against the dash.

Cleaning the connectors didn't do a single thing. Also noticed the hazards aren't powering the turn signals. Clicks at the dash, but nothing at the actual lights, so could this mean the flasher mechanism is toast as well?

Really getting tired of the PT honestly. If I weren't still financing the car I would get rid of it tomorrow. My 78 Ford Ranchero has sat for many years here or there and every time I've needed to move it for whatever reason it just involves charging the battery and throwing some gas in and it turns over like it had never sat there for years. And I can actually work on most of the car myself. I remember needing to change the alternator in the PT and it cost me over $600 with around $400 of that just in labor. Tried to do it myself and it is virtually impossible without a lift. This is mostly just frustration at the PT now. I'll probably love it again soon.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 09:34 am
Cool Cruiser

The clicks at the dash are usually the sound of the flasher relay/mechanism. I am gonna say what we have said a lot in the VW forums .... check for a loose or bad ground. On the road I notice a lot of new less than 3 year old cars with non functioning rear facing lights .... can't be that high a failure rate on the bulbs, but the workmanship on the wiring and grounds could be it. I notice this on more Chrysler Motor Co vehicles than any others. I make it a mission to pass them also, I don't like driving behind unsave vehicles of any kind.

HEy ... my 90 F150 is the same ... I only have to replace the worn steering box, tie rod ends and rubber suspension parts .... have the headliner and seat cover replaced then off to the body shop to pound out the few dings and dents and repaint .... and it will be newer than most 2010 F150s and probably last much longer.

When I changed my accessory belt in the PT I had good intentions to replace the Alt Belt .... I guess I have to hire the small hands guy from Burger King as I can barely see the alt and can't get to it to change the belt. I beleive you on that labor cost ... maybe I can get the shop that will change the Timing Belt to change the alternator too.

Anyone else .... is it a good idea when doing T-Belt change to have the alternator and belt done also, in addition to the water pump and T-Belt tensioner??? I gotta get the TBelt done on the 01 when the kid comes in this summer ... 10 years old but 80K, I think age should have us doing it ASAP.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 01 Apr 2011, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well the PT will probably be spending a week or so at the dealer while they figure this whole thing out, so I will be taking the 78 Ranchero to the salvage yard and getting another, older, one probably. Something I know I can work on, mostly, and drive around for fun and when the PT is down.