Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine light

I wonder if cars get used to a certain type of gasoline. the reason for the question is: today for the first time since i bought my silver pt cruise (i named jake) was gassed at race track..and I've heard that their gasoline isn't the greatest..but tank running low so i stopped there anyway. I put $20, and somehow that filled up my tank (gas $3.43). so as soon i left the gas station, my engine light came on. i started to freak because is the only car i have, and i go to college at night like an hour away. but after going like 20 miles on it.. the engine light went off.. has this happen to anyone?
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine light

I have heard of it happening when you change gas brands in some cars. My Cavalier used to do that quite often. I wouldn't panic too much. I'm sure someone else will come up with a more detailed explanation eventually
Old 31 Mar 2011, 06:19 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

it also could've been the infamous gascap problem. it's best to turning till it clicks three times.
welcome to the forum by the way. I'm Danny, my PT is Eve, and we say hello from San Antonio.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

welcome to the forum, if the engine check light come's back on and STARTS TO FLASH then you need to have it checked very soon.If the engine check light comes back on and stays steady you should still have it checked by a mech. you trust
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You said; "as soon as I left the gas station". You wouldn't have been using the new gas for a few miles. The gas in the lines before you filled up would still be running the PT. If the engine light came on, even though it went out, you should have a fault code stored in the computer. Do you know how to retrieve it?

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 12:10 am
Cool Cruiser

My bet is on the gas cap. This happened to the 01. The kid bought a locking cap before she took it to school and left the 8 year old OEM one home. She did not ask my expansive advice before buying that locking cap. About 3 months later she called with a story like yours. I had her get the codes read, they told her Cap not tight, it went out then came back. I sent her back to purchase a STANT locking cap and told her to discard the other one. I have not heard of this problem again since ... 2 years now. FWIW, I don't think locking caps are really needed nowadays as it is very hard to get a hose into most vehicles tanks to syphon gas.

It could be your cap ain't tight, or the seal is going out on the cap, or if not OEM, just badly designed. Get the code though.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1

Tags
engine light, race track