Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cooling Fan, FYI I'm a newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2011, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cooling Fan, FYI I'm a newbie

I have been viewing this site for quite a while for advice and ideas. I changed my spark plugs/wires and diagnosed my AC problems using this site. I've done some searching, but still cannot find an answer to my question.

First off, I own a 2003 non-turbo Limited PT Cruiser. I've owned it for almost 3 years and am a little more educated on PTs thanks to this site.

This week I purchased a 2003 turbo Dream Cruiser from a small used car dealership. Now I have 2 cruisers !

When I test drove the dream cruiser the check engine light came on. The dealer hooked the car up to their scanner and determined the problem was an O2 sensor. They fixed that.

As I was driving my dreamcruiser home from the lot the check engine light came on again . I did the "3 time key dance." The cruiser said "P0480," Cooling Fan Relay 1 Control Circuit. I took the dream cruiser back to the dealer the next morning and they took it to a mechanic. They tried changing out the entire cooling fan and the relay, but that still did not fix it.

Right now they have an entire new computer on order. They say that will fix it. I'm not a mechanic, but I do like to wrench on cars and have a little bit of sense. That does not sound right to me to replace the computer... Is that right? The dealer is paying for it all so I'm not to concerned right now.

I do know of the cooling fan issues with PTs thanks to this site. I still need to replace the cooling fan on my nonturbo PT, but its winter and I've been putting it off. The low speed works on my nonturbo fan. The AC only works on the highway and the engine temp is always fine so I'm waiting till it gets a little warmer before I worry about it.

On a side note what is the difference between the GT turbo PTs and the Dream Cruiser turbo PTs, if any? I know there are some cosmetic differences, but I'm looking for differences in the turbo or engine.

Sorry for such a long post and thank you in advance! This site is awesome! You guys are a great help when it comes to anything PT!
Old 31 Mar 2011, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cooling Fan, FYI I'm a newbie

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, there's been a lot of cases where the CPU has been changed to fix a problem. Thankfully they caught it before you bought it and it was out of any warranty that you might have.

On your Turbo question. Lots of variables. Both have the same engine and turbo but depending on the year your talking about there are slight differences in HP. For example, in 04 Chrysler went to larger injectors and in the later years they came out with a different manifold.

I'll let some of the Turbo guys get into more detail.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 08:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick response Crewzin. My Dream Cruiser is a 2003. So it looks like I missed out on the larger injectors and different manifold.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 08:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

But they can be added.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 04 Apr 2011, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

UPDATE...

The garage replaced the computer and the cooling fan is still not working. They said they cannot find the cooling fan relay. They believe the relay is built into the fan or the computer. Does anyone know where the cooling fan relay is located? The code the cruiser spit out was the cooling fan relay and I thought that was the problem all along, but the garage said they cannot find it??? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 04 Apr 2011, 04:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The high and low fan relays are in the engine compartment inside the PDC (Power Distribution center). It's the oblong black box under the air filter.

Old 04 Apr 2011, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks a lot crewzin!!! You're the man!!!!!