Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Driving Lights Come on by themselves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2011, 08:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Driving Lights Come on by themselves?

Hi, guys. I just started experiencing something with my 2002 PT, and wondered if you might have some suggestions. First of all, my turn signals work fine, as do my high and low beams. The mostly useless factory "driving" lamps operate from the turn signal stalk as they are supposed to.

The problem I am having is during the day, when driving without my headlights on. I will park the car, and turn the ignition off. When I go to get out, I look down and occasionally see the driving lamp indicator light on the dash illuminated. Getting out of the car, I look at the front end, and sure enough, the driving lamps are on. If I press lightly on the end of the turn signal stalk, the dash indicator will go out, as will the driving lights.

Since I think the factory driving lamps are neat looking, but essentially useless, is there a specific fuse for the driving lamps that I could pull, without causing any other lighting issues? Someone at work was kind enough to alert me that my driving lights were on the other day, but I worry about them not being seem sometime and killing the battery.
Thanks for any suggestions you might have,
Steve
Old 01 Apr 2011, 08:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Driving Lights Come on by themselves?

The number #8 fuse in the box by your left knee will stop the lights coming on. What you have is a malfunctioning multifunction stalk. The stalk that turns the lights and driving lights on. I'm surprised with you having over 30 posts on the forum that you haven't come across the hundreds of threads that talk about this problem. You can either try and fix the stalk yourself or buy a new one and replace what you have.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Apr 2011, 09:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

I think I found those threads before my first post, google brought me here to diagnose this problem almost 2 years ago.

This is the one I bookmarked:
how to install multi-function switch?

Those are the same symptoms my kids car had, and the occasional dead batterys, she got 2 new batteries in the first 6 months. She followed me once to drop my car of for tinting and I noticed when she signaled right, the "fog" lights would come on. I thought it weird, but Cadillacs have had a bright curb light feature for decades, so thought it was possibly a feature on an LE that my BASE would not have. I was wrong!

It is probably not hard to get the parts now, I had to source one on eBay for hers because of the Chrysler bankruptcy at the time dealerships could not get them and there were not many on eBay either, it was a hot seller. If I recall correctly - I got the one for no foglights since that was one of the few available .... no problems now.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 02 Apr 2011, 02:31 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I was just in kind of a hurry, and didn't notice the other posts on this subject.