Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
the dreaded p0344 code

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2011, 05:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default the dreaded p0344 code

hi, newbie here, so first of all a quick thanks to everyone here for the wealth of info contained in the forum.
Right, down to buisness.....driving along, the check engine light came on and car became very sluggish, it wouldn't rev above 2500 rpm.
Anyway, looked through the forum, found out how to get the error codes, and it come back with p0344, another look through here and found it was camshaft position sensor.
I fiddled about with the plug and wires, started car again, and now it is fully free revving as normal, but the check engine light is still on.
My questions are...is it possible it could be a loose/ bad connection on the plug, if it was, should the check engine light go out on it's own or does it need resetting after a fault has been fixed, or was it a fluke that it revs ok now and the problem is still there.
I thought i read somewhere that the engine light needs resetting after a fault, but cant find it again.
sorry if this is a bit long winded, and i appreciate any help on my questions, i dont really want to spend 60 on a sensor if it turns out to be a bad connection.
Thanks
Old 02 Apr 2011, 06:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: the dreaded p0344 code

You can clear the code yourself. Just take off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes, That clears the computer memory of the fault code and takes away the engine light.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2011, 06:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

thats great, so do you think it might of been a bad / loose connection. has anyone else experienced that before,
Old 02 Apr 2011, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Haven't read anything like that before but who knows, stranger things have happened. At least you'll know what to do the next time it happens.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Apr 2011, 07:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

1 other thing, do you know how far you can drive on reduced power and with the light on. It's my wifes car, and when it happened last time, she was only a mile or so from home, so she just returned home straight away. she doesn't normally drive that far, probably max 10 miles from home, just dont want her stranded, or do any further damage if it happens again.
Old 02 Apr 2011, 07:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Supposedly, according to the manual, as long as the engine light isn't flashing, the vehicle is in no danger of damaging itself. The computer might put itself into a "safe mode" where you'll be able to travel but at reduced capacity (speed). If the light comes on and you actually don't feel anything wrong, you can keep going until your destination. After saying that, most of us would want to find out as soon as possible, the cause of the engine light.

If the light is flashing, this is what the manual says: The MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) flashes to alert to serious conditions that could lead to immediate loss of power or severe Catalytic converter damage. Service ASAP.

That's it for now. My PT club in Tampa is having their annual picnic-in-the-park and it's a two hour drive down there. Been waiting for the wife to get ready.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 02 Apr 2011 at 07:43 am.
Old 02 Apr 2011, 08:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks very much crewzin for all your help
Old 02 Apr 2011, 09:31 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
You can clear the code yourself. Just take off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes, That clears the computer memory of the fault code and takes away the engine light.
You can also reset the code by turning the key on and off 3 times (do not crank the engine). Then crank the engine normally, the engine light should go off....at least thats how to do it on '04. Saves having to reprogram your stereo...
Old 02 Apr 2011, 02:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Never heard of that way for clearing the codes, and on mine, taking off the battery cable doesn't loose the pre-set radio stations.