Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine support bracket

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2011, 05:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine support bracket

Hi y'all. Read the timing belt posts, and put on a new timing belt but now...I can't get the engine support bracket back on. To get it off, since I had a new kit that included the back timing cover, I just errr, forced it out through the bottom. But now I can't get the support back on. You know, the big steel thing with three 'fingers' and that attaches to the power steering pump. Does it go in from the top or bottom? How do you get the fingers to be in on the proper side side of the belt. I can get any combo for the two fingers in place but no way #3 will fit.

Should I just jack the engine higher until I can just install it? I don't wanna hurt the other mounts or the tranny.

HELP! and thanks!

Eric
Old 29 Apr 2011, 11:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Engine support bracket

I just took mine off today when replacing my timing belt...I had to take it out from the top...I disconnected the mount for the power steering pump so I reposition it in from of the engine...also had to take off the front grill and upper radiator support so that I would have more room for lifting the engine up high enough to just pull out the engine mount...what made it easier was that I had to slowly lift the engine so that I could nudge it a little here and there to get the plate to clear...didn't disconnect the A/C but I did disconnect the power steering reservoir to relocate that out of the way also...I left all line connected though, just disconnected a lot of things I saw was keeping me from lifting the motor high enough to get the plate out. Let me know if you have any questions on what I did...I'm sure i'm leaving something out, but those where the biggest issues. Tomorrow I'll be replacing the water pump and putting everything back together...Little concerned about the timing but just read a really good post here that gave me confidence...

2005 PT Cruiser
Touring edition
2.4L DOHC
Old 30 Apr 2011, 01:32 am
Regular Cruiser

Make sure you turn the crank 2 complete revolutions and recheck the timing marks on the cam before you button it up. They should now line up perfectly.

alan
Old 30 Apr 2011, 08:46 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Did you disconnect the tranny mount too? ....that's what I did to move the engine up and to the side and get more room
Old 30 Apr 2011, 09:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
Did you disconnect the tranny mount too? ....that's what I did to move the engine up and to the side and get more room
Yes...Engine was easy to move around once I did disconnected the tranny mount.

2005 PT Cruiser
Touring edition
2.4L DOHC