Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
help having problems car misfiring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Apr 2011, 02:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation help having problems car misfiring

ok i have a 2003 pt cruiser non turbo automatic , i was getting error code 2305 so i replaced the coil pack and added new Bosch platinum plugs and napa performance brand plug wires, i even replaced the pigtail on the coil-pack (soldered it )because the wires had been probed and looked rather frayed, got it all together then it ran good all day then the next day same problem i just put a new battery in today as well , now im getting code 0111, 2305,0113 and 0352, i have had this car a week and haven't got to drive it for more than a day yet. mai missing something , and also does anyone know of a repair shop near me that is affordable and works on the electrical part of these cars in case it is a electrical problem
Old 03 Apr 2011, 02:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: help having problems car misfiring

Welcome to the forum. First, you want to make sure all codes are current. You need to take off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. (clean up all the battery connections while your doing that). Taking off the cable clears the codes and resets the computer. See if that gets rid of any codes.

Sounds like someone has been having problems before you and testing out things to clear any problems. The coil is usually the last thing to go bad and the wires shouldn't be in the condition you found them.

I have a really good mechanic and he just moved away from being right down the road from me over to a Chrysler dealer over in the Ocala area. That's probably still to far away from you in Lakeland.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Apr 2011, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes that is what i thought too , the codes were cleared because the battery was replaced today , maybe i can try it again , but it is like it goes into limp mode firing on 2 cylinders then when i restart it it clears up for a few minutes then does it again. i am an avid diyer having always done most of my auto repairs but this has got me stumped, im new to the pt and really like my cay but any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 03 Apr 2011, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, two of your codes point to a problem with the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor. Easy enough to replace. Pull it out and make sure the little tip isn't broken off. It's easily broken.
The other two point to the coil. Easy enough to check out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Apr 2011, 05:12 pm
Banned

If you are a good DIYer then you can check the coil yourself. To "bench test" the coil, first the coil must be in a cold state or your readings will be to high. To test primary resistance use an ohm meter to check from center terminal of the connector to the the right terminal and then the center to the left. Your readings should be in the 0.45 to 0.65 ohm range.

To check your secondary resistance connect your meter to the two secondary terminals of each coil. First the #1 and #2 coil spark plug leads and then the #3 and #4 coil spark plug leads. Your readings should be in the 11.5 to 14.5 k-ohms range.

Jerry

Last edited by wwpptc; 04 Apr 2011 at 06:51 pm.
Old 04 Apr 2011, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok was out driving again today and the car started missing again , got code for thee coil pack , could it be the coil capicitor , i read somewhere that was a problem even with the coil pack code and that fixed it , if so where is it located and where , an where can i buy it , i looked online and didnt see it at the parts store online unless it is called something else
Old 04 Apr 2011, 02:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've never heard anyone talk about it. It could be something that's built into the coil pack itself. That would make more sense and why you couldn't find it on-line to buy it separately. It could be like the alternator that has the regulator built inside whereas cars before had a separate regulator outside the alternator/generator.

Old 04 Apr 2011, 06:14 pm
Banned

I've only seen the coil capacitors on the turbo motors. It's held in place by the top bolt of the rear intake manifold bracket on the passenger side of the motor. Here are some pic's. Hope I've got them sized right.

It's identified in top drawing (#18.7) and in #18.10 it's the top right bolt as you look at the drawing that is holding the capacitor. The right hand of #1 arrow is pointing to it.

I've never heard of one of the capacitors going bad, but nothings impossible.

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ignition capacitor.jpg (97.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by wwpptc; 04 Apr 2011 at 06:49 pm.
Old 04 Apr 2011, 06:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did some searching around and like Jerry just mentioned, the only talk is from the Turbo owners about the capacitor. I did find this thread talking about coil problems. You might want to look through it and see if it helps.

Ignition coil problem...maybe?