Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2011, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Location: Texas currently, getting ready to move back to Michigan in a week.
Default Timing Belt Issues

Our timing belt on our 2005 PT Cruiser broke at 147,000 + miles on Saturday. My husband did the tear down, ran back & forth to O'Reilly's for tools to rent to use to do the tear down. He thought he got the timing lined up, put it back together and it started right up. He finished putting everything back together, and it idles just a little rough, and the check engine light was on. I did the key dance and initially had 2 codes, P0016(Yes, that is the correct one showing), and P0334. I took the negative battery cable off for 10 seconds and the check engine light cleared. Started the car back up, put it into reverse to back out of the driveway and the light came back on. Only one code this time, P0016. My husband is going to take it all apart again this weekend, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can to help him out. He thinks the timing isn't off by much. Is there a fail safe method to ensure he gets it lined up perfectly with all the marks? Is there a way after he gets the belt on to adjust the bolt slightly to get some slack to adjust it after the belt is on? We're making a big move to Michigan next week & desperately need to make sure this car will safely carry me, our daughter & pets on the road trip from Texas to Michigan.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06 Apr 2011, 07:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Issues

Getting the timing belts on perfectly seems to be a hit and miss proposition. I did see a timing belt that comes with white lines which should line up with the timing marks on cams and the crank. It was NOT for a PT but I was wondering if anyone has seen a belt like this that would apply to our PT's?

It just seems like a lot of members have the same problem when it comes to installing the timing belts. Is there a surefire method to avoid the heartbreak of "I'm gonna have to tear it down again next weekend". Can the engine be run for a short period after the belt is installed to insure it is running right before everything is buttoned back up?

alan
Old 07 Apr 2011, 08:56 am
Young Cruiser

The sure fire method every time on all cars, from 4 cylinders to 12, is the same. Install the timing belt and belt tensioner and release or set the belt tensioner correctly. Then rotate the engine at the crank by hand multiple times. Then bring cylinder number 1 up to firing position and line up the crank mark with the timing mark on the engine block. All timing marks at this point must line up 100%, there is no margin of error here, they need to be exactly on the mark, not 1mm forward or backward of the mark. Never rotate the engine at the cam shafts during the verification of the marks, the cam shafts will have play and move a little, you must turn the engine at the crank only.

I will stress this again all the timing marks must line up with each other 100%, when the belt and tensioner are installed and adjusted correctly.

The confusion always arises when the shop manuals tell you to set the exhaust cam on all engines a tooth off when installing the belt. They do this for a good reason, not so that when everything is installed the tooth is still off, no. The manufacturer knows that when you install the belt and set the tensioner, which is usually on the exhaust cam side, the tensioner is going to take the slack out of the timing belt and put tension on the cam sprocket which will rotate the exhaust cam a tooth. Once the tensioner is set all the timing marks are perfectly lined up.

Also there are many other posts in this forum on this topic, try the search function if you need more clarity.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 09:16 am
Young Cruiser

While I was over at PTCrew forums i found this nice color pic of the 2.4l engine with the belt and tensioner installed and timing marks line up. It may be helpful to some.

Notice that both cam mark are inline and the crank mark not very visible is also on the mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timing belt routing, components.jpg (80.7 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by 4x4safari; 07 Apr 2011 at 01:31 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 10:17 am
Regular Cruiser

O.K., that takes a lot of the confusion out of the discussion. I could never understand why the cam marks are supposed to be slightly off instead of dead level when installing the belt but your explanation helps. And turning the crank to verify the belt position helps too.

alan
Old 08 Apr 2011, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Got my timing belt & water pump done today for $167(parts-RockAuto) and $320 labor ($270 + 50$ tip)! So far, she is running great.
Old 29 Oct 2011, 12:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Currently Doing this Job.. My alignment if off a hair But not at the cams.. At the Crank.. That whole trailing edge thing is a pain! I literally Mean a Hair Paper Thin. But i am a perfectionist.. will continue fooling with it until its 100%