Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trans will not shift when hot help!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2011, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trans will not shift when hot help!?

Hello All,

I have a 2002 LE PT Cruiser with about 110K miles on it. Recently I have been having problems with the transmission. A few weeks back I drove about 50 miles to my mother-in-laws house without any problems. When I cranked the car up after visiting for about 30 minutes I noticed the car jerked when I put it in reverse. I was able to reverse without issue and put it in drive. As I took off I noticed the car was not shifting out of low gear and then the check engine light came on. I had the car diagnosed and it came back saying the Shift cylinoid/Shift Control Module was faulty. I replaced the part myself and have not seen any problems until today. I was on the way home from work and stopped at the grocery store. When I came out I experienced the same symptoms as before. I am no longer in fayetteville so I do not have access to a code reader to see if its the same problem code as before. Has anyone experienced this before? When the car is messing up, low gear (1st) and reverse work. However the car will not shift out of first gear, even when attempting to manually shift. Please help!
Old 07 Apr 2011, 01:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Trans will not shift when hot help!?

You can retrieve codes without a code reader, follow these instructions;

Error Codes

good luck!!!

alan
Old 07 Apr 2011, 02:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
You can retrieve codes without a code reader, follow these instructions;

Error Codes

good luck!!!

alan
That link doesn't show you how to get the codes, only gives you the codes themselves. Here's the link to get the codes....

How to retrieve fault codes.

P.S. If the code is something like P0700 which is generic and only means there's something wrong in the transaxle and a real scanner (OBDII) is needed to pinpoint the exact problem.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 05:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Hmmm, the top paragraph shows how to do the key dance. Isn't that the method for retrieving codes without an OBD reader?

alan
Old 07 Apr 2011, 05:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrw View Post
Hmmm, the top paragraph shows how to do the key dance. Isn't that the method for retrieving codes without an OBD reader?

alan
Well, yes ....and no. You are right that it says how to do it but if you just try it the way it says, 9 out of 10 won't get the code. They'll turn the key to far or not far enough and the biggest thing, the on/off sequence has to be done within 5 seconds or it won't work.

Yes, once you get it, is sounds pretty straight forward but not for the first time user.

I'll go add all th instructions to the link you posted so anyone can get it on both links.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Apr 2011 at 05:30 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 10:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I was able to get the error codes and of course its P0700. I also got a P1684. Looks like I am going to have to take a day off from work and get it looked at. Does anyone have an idea based on the code and symptoms I described?
Old 07 Apr 2011, 10:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The P0700 as i said above is just generic and means the PCM sees something wrong in the transaxle. The scanner can provide more detailed information.

P1684 does not indicate a problem; it's only a status, which indicates that the PCM memory has been cleared within the last 50 ignition cycles.