Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
engine vibration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Apr 2011, 07:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default engine vibration

I recently replaced the head gasket on my 05 pt 2.4 na because of an oil leak. I figured while I was doing it I would doing the timing belt and everything associated with it. I put it together and it starts and runs fine no lack in power. But the engine shakes at idle like its not balanced sitting in the car the whole body shakes. The harmonic balancer is pressed on so it can go many ways. I don't think that would do it but im out of ideas. If anyone can help it would be much aprecciated.
Thanks, Brian
Old 07 Apr 2011, 07:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: engine vibration

Brian,

Welcome to the forum. Hundreds of threads on the timing belt throughout the forum. The one sure thing that people notice when the timing isn't exactly right is a rough idle. Too far out of time and the engine won't even start. Who did the belt and have they ever done before?

All it takes is the marks being off that 1/2 notch.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Apr 2011 at 07:24 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 07:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

I haven't done one on a PT yet, but some of these 4 cyl engines these days have a balancing shaft to compensate for the inline 4 cyl engines inherent nature to shake ... the ones from the 70's and 80's shook a lot. I noticed in the picture posted in another thread today there was the two cam sprockets, the crank sprocket, the tensioner and the water pump and another sprocket .... could that be for a balancing shaft. Hopefully one of the folks that have done it can tell us, but I will go look it up in my 06 book in a bit anyway.

I have a neighbor that had this problem with a Kia after a backyard mech changed the belt ... they did not follow proceedure for locking the balance shaft in the correct position and it vibrated the car a lot, more than a solid mounted engine with one sparkplug disconnected.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 07 Apr 2011, 08:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Okay ... looked it up ... looks like the counter rotating shafts is an addon for the 2.4 engine, not built into the block like a lot of engines that have them. It is chain driven by the crankshaft behind the oilpump and the unit resides inside of the oilpan below the crank. So, unless you broke that chain due to oil leak problem, I doubt it went out of alignment changing the TBelt, so .... go with what Crewzin suggested.

12 Regal Turbo
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 07 Apr 2011, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did the belt and the gasket. And I followed the procedure on alldata with the trailing edge and the crank and what not but when they say half tooth below the intake mark, the exhuast cams alignment mark isn't in the middle and I couldn't get it perfect. but I guess I'm going to take it apart again and check. Future advice for anyone mark the belt before you take it off
Old 07 Apr 2011, 09:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I hope you don't take it apart for nothing but it is one of the things we hear from lots of owners the rough idle is the give away that the marks are off.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Apr 2011 at 09:59 pm.
Old 07 Apr 2011, 10:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

I think much of the confusion comes in when it says the one cam gear should be 1/2 tooth below the other but after rotating the engine 720*, the cam timing marks should be deadlevel with the cylinder head line(or is it a line thru the centers of the cog mounting bolts?) when the crank mark is aligned with the trailing tooth and the mark on the engine block.

Is this correct?

alan
Old 08 Apr 2011, 05:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well if you look at the pictures you posted the way alldata says to do it those timing marks would be off because they are even the exhaust cam is supposed to be half tooth lower but I couldn't get it to line up like that it would be even like the picture or one Tooth lower and wouldn't start.
Old 08 Apr 2011, 05:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

And the there are no codes or misfires
Old 08 Apr 2011, 10:31 am
Cool Cruiser

It sounds like having one of these or a different design would be most benificial for a TB change on the PT. I know most DOHC engines would.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

12 Regal Turbo
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1