Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
stumped!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2011, 06:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool stumped!

Anyone know where the little black canister on the brake booster plugs up? Its the little one on the front that has a little bit of vacuum on it but I don't know where the other end plugs up. Its got a long black plastic line on it that I think I must have unplugged but dang if I can find where. Thanks in advance! Oh, and its an '01, non-turbo, pt.
Old 09 Apr 2011, 02:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: stumped!

I believe that you are talking of the thin vacuum hose seen in the picture exiting from the left side of the black canister (vacuum check valve). The hose is seen curving to the left and up toward the firewall.
It passes through the firewall and activates the fresh air-recirculation flap in the A/C-heater box under the dash.
Vacuum moves the door flap to recirculation (no outside air) and a spring returns the door to fresh air position when the vacuum is removed.
The heater box has the actuation linkage and vacuum servo, and a vacuum harness, which connects also to the back of the fresh-air /recirculation control switch on the heater control module of the dash center bezel.
I have not been able to determine exactly how the vacuum line passing through the firewall connects with the heater box vacuum harness, I believe that it is the black vacuum line attached directly to the back side of the dash control switch. The red line there apparently goes to the linkage servo.
Sit inside the car with the motor idling, no radio, no blower fans, and move the control to recirculation and back to fresh air. You should be able to hear the vacuum operating the door flap (I can't remember if the 'whoosh' sound comes from entering or leaving 'recirculation' position.
If you hear it, the vacuum line is OK. If not, you may have some major work to do under the dash.
The operation of the Circulation door can be viewed by removing the blower motor and looking up into the unit inlet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ptcruiser View Post
Anyone know where the little black canister on the brake booster plugs up? Its the little one on the front that has a little bit of vacuum on it but I don't know where the other end plugs up. Its got a long black plastic line on it that I think I must have unplugged but dang if I can find where. Thanks in advance! Oh, and its an '01, non-turbo, pt.

Last edited by sanatanadharma; 09 Nov 2016 at 10:00 am.
Old 09 Apr 2011, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: stumped!

Thanks for the very detailed info. That's the line I was refering to so your info was right on. I'll try to track it down. I had searched the entire engine compartment looking for it thanks very much.