PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Clutch, Tranny or something else??? PLEASE HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2011, 09:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clutch, Tranny or something else??? PLEASE HELP!

Hello everyone! I have been lurking here for awhile now. Trying to figure out what has been wrong with my car. Here's the history of my 01 Limited Edition Pt: She has 153,XXX miles. I bought her a couple years ago. Never really had any problems except the lunging and stalling about 6 months after I bought her. I checked codes, cam/crankshaft sensor. Then husband & I split and he kidnapped car! LOL! Well a couple months later he said he was at a stop light, went to take off and car revved up to 3000 rpm's but wouldn't go anywhere. He said clutch went out. It sat at his friends for a few months before he finally towed it to my house where it sat thru the winter. So last week snow is gone and I decide to get my baby back on the road. At 1st inspection I can see the serp belt is just hanging inside car. Then I find out that alt belt is gone. Soooo...get belts put on, install new cam sensor, start it up and the alt belt burns right off!! Alt is frozen, replaced...THAT WAS FUN!!And in process noticed bottom right motor mount is busted in half. Replaced. Run codes. Nothing but code for battery disconnect in last 50 starts. Runs great.

Now the problem is: When taking off in 1st, especially at an incline, she seems to & sometimes does want to kill. Shift into to 2nd and she still shudders a lil bit. I can get from 0-55 in just 1st & 2nd gear with rpms reaching 2500 at 55. I don't know if my speedo is off or what cuz just after take off it's saying i'm at 40 mph. If I shift from 2nd to 3rd its like I was downshifting and skipped a gear or was going to fast for that gear. Rpm's up to 3000 and I go right into 4th. It's almost like 2nd & 3rd have switched places! LOL! Downshifting everything is normal. Except that 2nd doesn't seem to do much to slow her down. Have to use more brake than I normally would think I need to. Also, putzing round town, turning corners, 2nd seems like she is gonna kill. I'm puzzled.

I know it's hard to diagnose over the net, but if anyone has any ideas that will save me from spending money on a new clutch or tranny if I don't have to, I would greatly appreciate it! My thoughts were: Throttle position sensor? Clutch cable? Syncro? Throttle body issues?

IDK...I'm just a girl. LOL! But I don't wanna get taken by a shady mechanic either! Thank you!! I should also add that I currently have a doughnut on the back. Would that affect my speedo that much? Just figured I'd list everything

Last edited by thejenius77; 08 Apr 2011 at 09:14 pm. Reason: forgot about the spare
Old 08 Apr 2011, 10:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch, Tranny or something else??? PLEASE HELP!

So many issues this could be. Mostly I'm concerned about your PCM, as if you're having these issues and not throwing a code, well that worries me. PCM sucks to replace.

Now with your shifting issues, you've not stated it but do you have a manual tranny? If so, do you know if it's a G288 or a T350? Easy to tell, G288 has Reverse up to the left, while the T350 has Reverse down to the right.

Next, with the surging and all, I'm almost convinced whomever installed your serpentine belt has the two cams out of alignment. They only have to be off by 1/2 a tooth to cause issues. Crewzin just posted some pics of this on a thread I think yesterday, you might want to look at new posts over the last couple of days as it shows quite graphically what needs to be done to correctly align the cam gears to insure the belt goes on correctly.

After answering these questions, we can dig into it further. If you were anywhere near Charlotte, NC, I'd be glad to come buy and look at it for you.... just sayin...
Old 08 Apr 2011, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the reply. I live in Minnesota so that would be quite the jaunt! LOL! Anyways, my reverse is down to the right. Also, I seem to get every other code. Cam shaft sensor, 1682 and 1684. They went away after all was fixed. So I tend to think that it is functioning properly. And in reference to your comment about marks....they replaced the serpentine belt. Not the timing belt. Far as I know there are no marks for that. Correct? And the surging was corrected with the cam sensor replacement.

Last edited by thejenius77; 08 Apr 2011 at 10:38 pm.
Old 08 Apr 2011, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm tired and you're right. Also, you have the T350, the weaker of the two manual tranny's and I know little about that. I'll PM you some info.

Hopefully someone more familiar with that tranny will voice up.
Old 08 Apr 2011, 10:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you!!
Old 09 Apr 2011, 01:05 am
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like the car was driven like it was stolen ..... oh yeah the ex stole it!

I missed the part where you said someone changed the clutch ... was that done. If so it is possible the linkage may have been incorrectly re-installed. Sounds like you are hitting 3rd and 4th in the 1st and 2nd spots and then when you upshift from 2nd which is really 4th you go to first which is in the 3rd position and nearly blow the RPM needle off the gauge. Does that sound right.

Hope you get it all back correct .... and change the keys.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 09 Apr 2011, 12:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Sounds like the car was driven like it was stolen ..... oh yeah the ex stole it!

I missed the part where you said someone changed the clutch ... was that done. If so it is possible the linkage may have been incorrectly re-installed. Sounds like you are hitting 3rd and 4th in the 1st and 2nd spots and then when you upshift from 2nd which is really 4th you go to first which is in the 3rd position and nearly blow the RPM needle off the gauge. Does that sound right.

Hope you get it all back correct .... and change the keys.
The clutch has not been changed. I think 2nd is in the 3rd position and 3rd is in the 2nd. The rpm's don't go off the gauge. I think the gauge goes up to 7 or 8. And it doesn't red line until 6. When I try to go from 2nd to 3rd the rpm's hit 3 so I go right to 4th. I don't know about 1st. Maybe that is 2nd? Maybe they have all moved down a gear & that's why she doesn't get up & go like she did? I didn't know it was possible for the gears to move
Old 09 Apr 2011, 08:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

57 views and only 2 people responded? I know someone has to have an opinion about this.....PLEASE HELP ME OUT!
Old 09 Apr 2011, 08:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm with silver, sounds like there is a linkage problem. Either installed wrong, out of adjustment, stretched cables, warn bushings, cables swapped. I would check that before going after anything else. If your clutch engages and disengages then there is nothing wrong with it. Let us know what you find.
Old 09 Apr 2011, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you fabreezai! I've been researching for hours & that is what I am coming up with too. Could you give me more specifics on what to look for? I don't know if I can personally check these things about but it would be helpful if I could pass some info on to a more mechanically inclined friend