Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dash light problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2011, 08:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dash light problems

We own a 2005 Convertible GT Turbo that has a ghost in the dash. It started with the dash lights blinking at my wife, then it started blinking the "dummy" lights at her and turning off the analog gauges. Then the remote button for the trunk quit and the convertible top stopped in the middle of opening. We have had it back to the dealer periodically, but they cannot seem to fix it. They have replaced "cluster I 8037162" ( FP number 4671861-AL) most recently. One day later.....same thing. Other than the incessant "dinging", dash lights flashing, not knowing if when can work the top and having to use the key for the truck, we have really enjoyed the car. Can anybody help?
Old 12 Apr 2011, 08:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Dash light problems

OK so we took it back and.....some kind of fuel sensor. We know that if you don't hold your mouth right when you put the gas cap on you get the check engine light. So we probably won't get the PT back for another week. When my wife asked for a rental car they told her they were not sure if they could justify a rental car for a one day job. My wife politely explained to them that the one day job had already been two weeks.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dash light problems

Are you familiar with the "key dance", to pull up fault codes? When you have a problem like this you need to see if you're throwing any codes, and track back from there. As to all these weird things happening, some are not even remotely connected to the others.

For instance, your top is NOT electric, it's hydraulic! So the only real connection is that the pump and switch are running electrically. As to the lights and ghosting, there is no possibility, in this dimension of this universe, that the fuel cap could affect these. If that's what they are telling you, they are misleading you!

You may be looking at PCM problems. Also, have you had your battery tested? I had a recent experience over a two week period where my lights started acting weird, my stereo would turn on and off on it's own, etc. Thought either my PCM was flaking or my generator was going out. But, had Advance Auto test my battery and it had one dead cell. Replaced my battery and the problems disappeared and have not come back.