PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Top Engine Mount!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2011, 05:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Top Engine Mount!

Hey, everyone!

We're on our way to Washington, D.C. to see stuff like The Star Spangled Banner, Enola Gay, Kitty Hawk, all the Memorials, Arlington, Ford's Theater, we even have a White House Tour--all the stuff that until late last night I didn't know if they were closing or not, due to the government shut down.

Well, they didn't shut down. How lucky can I get? I thought we might have to settle for taking our vacation pics in front of a porta-potty on Pennsylvania Ave ....

Anyways, I took the PT down to have some new tires put on and belts checked (we're just driving to the airport a couple hundred miles away and then flying to D.C, by the way), and sure enough they found my upper engine mount was in need of replacement (not a shocker, right?). So the guy tells me the car will be fine, but eventually he wants $650.00 bucks to replace the upper mount ... cause they have to remove two A/C lines to get to the five-minute job of removing and replacing the funky mount.

I've read several threads on the forum and some Cruisers have done the job themselves by simply pushing the two A/C lines out of the way. That looks scary to me--after looking over the territory under the hood. I mean, at what point do you squinch over those rigid pipes without causing one or both to rupture?

I found another thread where the Cruiser simply removed the headlight entirely--and pulled and installed the mount through the headlight opening. That sounds more to my liking.

I do have one question: how torqued down are the bolts holding the upper mount? It seems a tight fit with the A/C lines in the way--and the rear bolt seems like I have to get to it at an angle.

Whoever knows, please spill your knowledge when you get a few minutes.

Tim

P.S. I won't be back on the forum for a week unless my daughter graciously lets me borrow her laptop while in D.C.
Old 09 Apr 2011, 08:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Top Engine Mount!

See if this helps:

How to Replace an Engine Mount in a 2006 PT Cruiser | eHow.com
Old 10 Apr 2011, 11:15 am
Cool Cruiser

It's a 5 minute job that doesn't require disconnecting anything. You have enough room without having to really touch the lines at all. You just sort of push them (no bending). You need to only get the top 2 bolts holding the bracket mount to the motor, then the largish bolt holding the rear of the mount to the shock tower. The whole thing can drop through the fender, or you can finagle it out through the top. Its not hard, just gotta twist and turn in perfectly and it comes out through the ac lines. Reinstall is the reverse, just don't torque down the last 1/8 turn on the mount-> bracket bolt. When its all installed, you put in a ratchet to get that last 1/8 turn - through the AC lines.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 08:25 am
Young Cruiser

Agreed, you dont need to remove the AC lines. If you want more clearance and the ability to move the lines over you can unbolt the AC compressor from the engine mount. This is a little more work but does give you freedom to move the hard lines around alot more.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 08:26 am
Young Cruiser

Oh, almost forgot this is not a $650 job i would seriously find yourself another mechanic. The parts are not that expensive either.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 01:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

We got back last night, folks. Thanks for the teachings!

And, yes, the dealer's price to repair this item is ridiculous!

Tim
Old 18 Apr 2011, 08:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So my question is this - is there a replacment mount that will last longer then the stock one did?