PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Temp/Compass Overhead Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Apr 2011, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Temp/Compass Overhead Question

Hello,

I feel bad that a "complaint" is my first post! I have been looking around here for the last few weeks and just decided to join today as I have a question that I don't see an answer for. I have enjoyed learning more about my PT. I just bought it last fall with 24,000 mi and it currently has 30,-something miles. It was owned by a great "little old lady" the dealer said, who only drove it once a week. I drive it every day (work and home, etc); and recently had to have the water pump and timing belt replaced, and the tranny had a small crack so that was fixed as well (they said this was normal, esp since it had sat around so much and now it is being used and taken care of)...so I think the problem below is just that maybe the mechanic disconnected the battery and somehow it doesn't work now - but it worked when I got it back from the dealer two weeks ago.

My overhead temp/compass system doesn't seem to light up or is "on", it seems to be off/not working. I am wondering if anyone has ever had this problem, and if there is an easy fix; or if I have to take it in to the dealer. I just noticed it yesterday and today, before it worked fine. I have pushed the button, thinking that it would turn on/off, but it does not do anything.

Thanks!
Old 09 Apr 2011, 09:53 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: Temp/Compass Overhead Question

Hey there, i saw your name at the bottom at the main page as a new comer. Sorry to hear about your issues. More so, i'm sorry to hear about the major repairs that were done to the car already.
As for your issue, can you see the display, is at least dim or it doesn't come on at all? also, what year is your baby?
By the way, welcome to the site, i'm Danny, my PT is Eve and we say hello from San Antonio.
Old 09 Apr 2011, 10:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I can not see the overhead display at all, which is why I thought it was 'off'. Usually I don't turn it on or off, but we are on a road trip right now and I thought the other person who drove the car may have turned it off, but they said they haven't touched anything. So its a conundrum. I did see by searching google that the dome light may need replacing? I have not tried to turn on the overhead light so I will try tomorrow, but I just thought I'd get on and discuss this (right now we're in a thunderstorm, so I don't want to go outside at the moment, haha).

Yes I love the car, it is "my size" as I am only a little tish over five foot. I have been enjoying it a lot, especially since it has electronics to put the seat up and down! The car is fabulous and the inside/outside was kept in great condition. It is the first car I have bought myself, so it was exciting when I bought it - still is!
Old 09 Apr 2011, 10:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

By the way, I'm loving the flames on your Cruiser. I am thinking about adding 'something' to mine, just not sure if I want it on the Cruiser or the dash mat, and what it may be.
Old 09 Apr 2011, 10:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_Traveler View Post
By the way, I'm loving the flames on your Cruiser. I am thinking about adding 'something' to mine, just not sure if I want it on the Cruiser or the dash mat, and what it may be.
that's kool. there's a lot of ppl on this site that'll be more then glad to help. I'm always on and if i don't have an answer for you then i'll point you in the direction of some who can help.

Thanx for the compliment. I'm an hot rod, muscle car type of guy, and a pyro too so i've always loved flames. lol
I just saw what yr you have, sorry i didn't see it before. As for a first gen i'm not to sure. When you unlock your doors, do the interior lights come on? if so, do your map lights come on, which are the ones in the front of the cabin. also, do you have the manual? if you do you may want to check that out to see what you need to do for the display.

here's some other flames i got on her.

Old 09 Apr 2011, 11:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

just a thought. maybe someone turned the dash lights all the way down. check the mfs light stalk.

n/m just realized it wouldn't matter if your lights aren't on. sorry
Old 09 Apr 2011, 11:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
just a thought. maybe someone turned the dash lights all the way down. check the mfs light stalk.

n/m just realized it wouldn't matter if your lights aren't on. sorry
lol don't worry about it. I didn't even think about that. but then again driving at night would be PITA.
Old 09 Apr 2011, 11:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wolfman's just a leach and steals every one else's ideas....lol... just joking Danny, don't go punching me! We're friends so I'm always busting his chops.

I have a vert, so I can't speak on your problem, just dropped in to say "howdy" and show off MY flames:

Oh, and my engine, gotta post that here so that next week when Danny paints his to match, we'll know who did it first!

lmao... good luck with your problem, hope it is easy to fix!
Old 09 Apr 2011, 11:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Wolfman's just a leach and steals every one else's ideas....lol... just joking Danny, don't go punching me! We're friends so I'm always busting his chops.

I have a vert, so I can't speak on your problem, just dropped in to say "howdy" and show off MY flames:

Oh, and my engine, gotta post that here so that next week when Danny paints his to match, we'll know who did it first!

lmao... good luck with your problem, hope it is easy to fix!
You know me too well my friend. lol
Old 11 Apr 2011, 05:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well, yesterday when I got in the vehicle to drive home - the dash lights were all the way down, so that was one issue, but it was still off, but as I was driving about 20-25 mph I decided to push and hold the button for a moment - and wah-lah, there it was! So it works now. Feel that it was a stupid question anyway, but glad I got it figured out.

Your PT convertible is pretty sweet - you must live in a warmer climate, though, lol - we get lots of snow in winter from where I'm at. I know a person who paints and details cars, so I have been talking amongst people to see what I like, but most of the time people say "butterflies!" or "flames!" Flames are nice, but most people have them and its not really 'me', and although butterflies are nice, I'm not that much of a girly-girl. I actually thought of maybe a Chinese character, or musical notes, or something. Or not even painting the car, but getting something embroidered on the dash mat. (I saw that there was a lot of people here and other sites that were fans of that, b/c of sun, cracking, etc -and I live in the country so its in a machine shed or outside)

I am excited that I have joined and glad to be welcomed. I am not online very much, so on forums I'm usually just a browser, at least for awhile. I have never been on a car forum, and this is my first car that I bought myself. Previously I've driven a 1990 Jetta, a 1994 Mercury Tracer Wagon, and a bunch of 1980-1995's Dodge Ram Vans...so I am really loving the PT, its more 'my size' and all, and can still fit a lot - its not exactly like a 'van' either! I have driven F-150s and a Lincoln Navigators for others and those are always huge vehicles for me - although I did love the Navigator, Lincolns have everything it seems! (pedal adjustment, electronic front/back/up/down seats, etc) so I have to say that was enjoyable for a weekend. I'm in my mid-twenties and I hope to have the PT for a long time.