PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

02 cruiser wont run after rain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2011, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 cruiser wont run after rain

I have a 02 limited edition that if you drive during rain will spit and sputter and soon after die. Once it dies it takes either several hours or several days to crank back up. I have taken it to shops and they say that it is a sensor but the sensor has been replaced 2 times and no change. My dad said that it sounds to him that moisture is getting in the ignition module and is preventing it from firing correctly. Also one of the 2 throttle wires are very loose and not sure how to fix. Anyone have and ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10 Apr 2011, 06:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: 02 cruiser wont run after rain

I'm not really a tech guy, but water getting into something MAY be getting into something. You say you have a Limited, is it a turbo lite? I wonder if maybe there's water getting into your intake some how.
Oh, and another thing, when you replaced the sensor, did you use a Chrysler replacement or an aftermarket replacement? Our PT's don't like autozone parts.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 06:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know that it wasnt a autozone part, also didnt take it to a dealership. No it isnt a turbo. It is driving us crazy because we cant depend on it if it rains. I dont know much about cars and apparently neither do the mechanics around where i live.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 06:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

At first we thought that it was getting water in the gas somehow with the way that it spits and sputters and seems like it doesnt get any power. sometimes if it starts doing that you can floor it and it will stop sputtering long enough for you to get to a safe place to pull over.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 06:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

"but water getting into something MAY be getting into something".

Danny, don't really get that one, maybe it's the age difference between you and me.

Chilis, are you getting any engine fault lights?

Once the rain affects your engine, have you looked to see if there's any water (1) anywhere in the engine compartment, (2) around the gas inlet where your cap is? Both should be dry.

Also check inside both wheel wells to see anywhere where splashing water could get into the engine compartment. Make sure both covers are on tight over the headlight access ports.

If everything is dry and tight, you might want to trace the wires from the Camshaft sensor around the back of the engine to see if there's any break in the harness. Might not be bad enough to give problems yet but splashing water might be causing a short in the electrical wires.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 10 Apr 2011, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

the check engine light stays on all the time. the sensor that i had replaced 2 times was the camshaft sensor. both times they took the sensor off and tested it and said that there was no problem with the sensor even though the computer was telling them there was. I have chacked everything and everything is dry where it should be after a rain.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 06:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, they checked the camshaft sensor itself but what about the wiring harness connected to the sensor that runs around the back of the engine. There's more than one (including me) that had problems with the sensor harness when it rubbed against something and wore through the harness.

That light doesn't come on for no reason at all. Did they clear the light when they finished checking it. if not, take the negative battery cable off for about 5 minutes. That clears the code and resets the computer.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 10 Apr 2011, 07:08 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Danny, don't really get that one, maybe it's the age difference between you and me.
lol sorry. What i was refferring to, was something that's was said. "moisture is getting in the ignition module"
I guess i'll stick to the interior forum.