Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pulley/Belt squeak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2011, 08:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pulley/Belt squeak

I have a 2003 Turbo Dream Cruiser with 76,000 miles. I've only owned it for two weeks.

I have an annoying squeak that sounds like metal on metal. I believe it's a pulley. The cruiser is still under warranty and the dealer has been taking it to a local garage. The garage has removed the belts and pulleys and cleaned them. The squeak went away for about 10 miles of driving and came back. Then they replaced all belts, pulleys, and the tensioner. The squeak went away for about 20 miles of driving and came back again.

The garage is going to look at it again monday morning. They said it may be the water pump or timing belt. I'm not so sure that it is, but I'm not a mechanic.

The best I can describe the squeak is that it sounds like chirping. It's definitely metal on metal. It's worse when you give it gas. Sometimes it'll stop at idle and sometimes it won't.

I also have a 2003 Limited Cruiser and never experienced this. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do to resolve it? Thanks in advance.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 07:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Pulley/Belt squeak UPDATE

A mechanic located an old TSB that should be the cause of my chirp. The TSB states that the power steering pulley may become out of alignment in PTs. The mechanic thinks that is the problem. Hopefully it will get fixed today after being worked on about nine times. At least it's still under a short warranty through the used car dealership and they paid for everything except for a trip to Chrysler. At least I got a new alternator, tensioner, pulleys, belts, and a harmonic balancer...

I'll let you guys know if the power steering pulley is the source of my chirp.
Old 22 Apr 2011, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Pulley/Belt squeak

My chirp has finally been fixed. There is a TSB for 2003-2004 pts that says the power steering pulley can get out of alignment. It only takes .4 mm out of alignment to cause the annoying chirp.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 09:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Pulley/Belt squeak

Do you know the TSB number? I am having a similar issue and trying to do some research.