PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

testing fuel pressure,wheres the schrader valve?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2011, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default testing fuel pressure,wheres the schrader valve?

hello everybody i'm new to the forum,so far I've found a lot of great info Thank you all. I have a 2005 base model and i was trying to touble shoot a light stumble or hesitation. so i just wanted to check the basics like spark ,fuel etc. and i was looking for the schrader valve to test the fuel pressure,but i couldn't find it on the fuel rail. so my question is how do i check the fuel pressure ? Is there an adapter to put in between the quick connects? The chilton book shows a schrader valve but i dont have one on the fuel rail. Did certain years and models have them?

any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 12 Apr 2011, 10:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: testing fuel pressure,wheres the schrader valve?

Searching through the OEM service manual, the only Schrader type valve in the manual is in the air conditioning system.

Now looking through the service manual there is an entire section dedicated to this. I've not tried to test fuel pressure on the rail myself as I use my DSP to monitor the fuel pressure instead. I'll PM you some info, it's too large to post here.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 12 Apr 2011, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum. If you have a stumble, replace your stock plug wires with anything else, plugs should be .040.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Apr 2011, 04:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

I replaced my stock plug wires with anything else .... an 8.5MM Top Line for Orielly Wire Set, and with Champions at 040 because the car was at 65K and running beautifully. Now my idle is horrible, a slight miss at idle and I have that same Stumble all through the driving range except at WOT.

I just bough some stock wires and Mopar Branded Champions so I can do it again and get the car running right again.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 12 Apr 2011, 04:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

The schrader valve is at the drivers side end of the injector fuel rail. It points at the stock air cleaner box. It has a cap similar to the cap on the valve stems on your tires and the valve works the same as your tire stems. It came stock on all pts up to and including the 2003's. It's also on the 2004 non-turbo PT's. My 04 has one. 2004 was the last year for the valves. Stock pressures for the "valved" PT's was 53 to 63 psi.

Jerry
3rcruiser likes this.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 05:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Yeah Jerry is right. They stopped the valves in 2004 (saved them 25 im sure) but a few 2004 models still had them before they cleaned out their stock of 03's.

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Old 12 Apr 2011, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well that figures. The '05 Service Manual doesn't mention the bleed valve, but it does show it on the drawing. Go figure.

I would need my own forum just to list my mods!!!
Remember, a PT Cruiser is not just a car, it's a way of life!
LAUS DEO SEMPER

Please visit the Tech Docs Library and you'll find many of your answers!
Old 12 Apr 2011, 06:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i've read/searched a lot of post here about stumbles and i have replaced the plugs,wires and coil. to give you guys a little back ground i'm no novice to cars i own a 86 grand national and a 87 olds 442 both built from the ground up. i'm use to trouble shooting these little problems, and the wife would always run the fuel low so i just wanted to eliminate the possibility the pump is weak.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 07:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just went through this problem. The POS Haynes manual says it has a Schroeder valve, but of course it isn't there. See my post Hard Starting, Poor Driveability, P0171.

I think I am going to have to break down and buy the factory manual to get any good information to troubleshoot and repair this car.

I have a 2006, and as stated above it doesn't have a Schroeder valve. I removed the fuel line that goes from the fire wall to the fuel rail and connected my fuel pressure gauge to the line on the fire wall and cranked then engine. It should build up pressure while you are cranking, if the pump is working right.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 12:26 am
Cool Cruiser

I have looked in my Factory Service Manual for the 06, there is a special tool # C-4799-B which is a pressure gauge, from the drawing it could work with a schreader valve like on all my other EFI cars, and there is another special tool 6539 which is a hose with a male and female connector that appears to attach inline somewhere ... and there is what looks like a schreader valve on the hose of this special tool. It looks like the fuel supply hose is disconnected from the rail and this tool is put between the two for testing purposes.

I haven't found the actual pressure test proceedure yet ... these chrysler manuals are not as easy to find stuff and use as the Kia (easiest), F150, Honda or VW.

Phred ... the Haynes comes through for a few vehicles, I have one for about every vehicle i've owned .... when folded properly they always work great when you need to chock a wheel when jacking.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1