Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Key won't turn!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Key won't turn!

This is weird! 2002 Cruiser w/43K Has run perfectly. Car got tapped in the left rear fender. Brought it to the body shop. They fixed the dent, painted it and replaced the two rear tail light assemblies. Picked it up today.
1) I turn the key to start the car and it's like I have the wrong key. It will not turn. I have tried two sets of keys and both directions. I have played with the shifter etc. Then out of the blue the key will turn like nothing happened. This usually occurs when I pull out the key and reverse it or put in another one. I'll start it a few times then bang back to not turning.
2)After I stop at a stop sign, let off the brake to accelerate I get a "Chime" sound. Just one. Even if I stop the car with the emergency brake and then start out I get a single Chime sound.
The body shop guys also pulled the left rear door panel to remove the LR door handle. Any ideas?
My wife and daughter who drive this car state these problems were not there before. I believe them because, being the "go to fix it guy" in the house, I would have heard about it.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 09:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Key won't turn!

No idiot lights are coming on with the chime? I'm not sure about this one but I'm fairly certain the key problem is your ignition lock cylinder. The next time it won't turn, try turning it with your left hand and tapping the key inward with your right hand (don't do it so aggressive that you bend your key however). If it turns, it needs a new ignition lock cylinder.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 10:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just went out again after reading in the shop manual a bit. The Chime at take off was the rear hatch was not closed all the way.

The key worked perfectly about 20 times, then I opened the drivers door and it wouldn't turn. Now it won't turn at all. After reviewing the original documentation, I may have an EVS II Interior theft sensor. Sound familiar to anyone?
BTW I bought this car in 07 w/1200 miles on it from a collector who had every dodah known installed from the factory and dealer.

Last edited by wa9zug; 12 Apr 2011 at 10:13 pm.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 10:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

That has nothing to do with the key not turning. Seriously, go tap on the end of it while trying to turn it with the other hand. Or you can also pretend like your stabbing the steering column with your key, over and over while turning as you stab into the lock cylinder. Either of the two will usually get it to turn again if the lock cylinder is bad.
Old 12 Apr 2011, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You may be right. I went back out and sprayed it with lube. Then it turned maybe 20 times, but, as I was turning it may have felt like I had to push it just right to get it to turn. Finally it just stopped turning. So it may be time to
A) get it to turn one more time (I hope!).
B) Insert a coat hanger in the little hole under it.
C) remove cylinder.
D) go to dealer with my two programmed keys and get a new one ($200?)

Does that sound like my morning tomorrow?
Old 13 Apr 2011, 01:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

All Fixed! THANK YOU! I bought a new set up cylinder at a local lock/key place $80. Took out the old one with an allen wrench to push the pin.
Piece of cake!
There were just too many variables for me to see the obvious.

THANKS FLOUNDERING for holding my hand (figuritivly) on this one.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 02:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

Glad you got it fixed .... sounds like it was too easy to replace for an $80 part .... hope you got your moneys worth. I will be changing the $1.79 hood prop rod clip on the 01 soon, hope I don't get more than my moneys worth on that one!

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 13 Apr 2011, 02:48 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa9zug View Post
This is weird! 2002 Cruiser w/43K Has run perfectly. Car got tapped in the left rear fender. Brought it to the body shop. They fixed the dent, painted it and replaced the two rear tail light assemblies. Picked it up today.
1) I turn the key to start the car and it's like I have the wrong key. It will not turn. I have tried two sets of keys and both directions. I have played with the shifter etc. Then out of the blue the key will turn like nothing happened. This usually occurs when I pull out the key and reverse it or put in another one. I'll start it a few times then bang back to not turning.
2)After I stop at a stop sign, let off the brake to accelerate I get a "Chime" sound. Just one. Even if I stop the car with the emergency brake and then start out I get a single Chime sound.
The body shop guys also pulled the left rear door panel to remove the LR door handle. Any ideas?
My wife and daughter who drive this car state these problems were not there before. I believe them because, being the "go to fix it guy" in the house, I would have heard about it.

BRO! same thing happened to me.

Here is what you do; you gotta use the palm of your hand, and thrust the key in pretty hard.

Dont't turn it; just thrust with your right palm; in the Right to Left direction.

I have a 01" with the same problem.
Old 07 May 2011, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

While you can indeed work around this problem by quickly inserting the key, tapping on it while turning, tapping the cylinder, etc: When it happens the first time, I highly recommend replacing the cylinder. It's quite easy when you can turn the key. I waited and regret it; ended up calling a locksmith and having him replace it in the shopping center parking lot... $150.

I have had the problem intermittently for maybe 5 years but finally had it to the point where none of the typical tricks would turn it. The locksmith ended up gripping a spare key (non chip) in a set of vice grips and turning while tapping vigorously on the vice grips with a small hammer. He has done literally hundreds and thanks Chrysler for much of his livelyhood.....

To remove the cyl, simply turn the key to the run position and use a screw driver to press the release in a hole directly under the cyl From there you have the choice of buying a replacement cyl with keys, about $75, and taping an old key under the steering column covers so the chip is read when the new key is used. Next you can go to a locksmith who will rebuild your old one (not recommended) or key a new one for your key (recommended), about $100 in the NE. Finally if you wait until it won't move regardless you can have the car towed to the dealer, and let them fix it, $400 wouldn't surprise me.

It's so common a problem that it and the work arounds should be a sticky or something.