Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cam and Crank position faults

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2011, 09:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cam and Crank position faults

We just picked up a 2005 PT with the non-turbo 2.4L engine and the very next day (I kid you not) the thing starts stumbling and the check engine light comes on.
There were multiple codes, but the two that stood out are left bank cam position and crankshaft position sensors.
I find it hard to believe that two sensors failed on the same day like that unless there is a commonality that killed them both.
Is there anything I should check first in the wiring that might cause this or some other thing that could affect them both? If I end up replacing them both, is there anything I should look at while I'm in there?
Thank you.
Disclaimer: I'm a complete newb to PT Cruisers, but not to wrench turning in general.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 10:56 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Cam and Crank position faults

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
We just picked up a 2005 PT with the non-turbo 2.4L engine and the very next day (I kid you not) the thing starts stumbling and the check engine light comes on.
There were multiple codes, but the two that stood out are left bank cam position and crankshaft position sensors.
I find it hard to believe that two sensors failed on the same day like that unless there is a commonality that killed them both.
Is there anything I should check first in the wiring that might cause this or some other thing that could affect them both? If I end up replacing them both, is there anything I should look at while I'm in there?
Thank you.
Disclaimer: I'm a complete newb to PT Cruisers, but not to wrench turning in general.

The sensors are cheap and easy to change, just use Chrysler parts with the sensors. Start with the cam sensor it's pretty much a 10 minute job.

HOW TO's

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 13 Apr 2011, 11:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I just got a message from my wife that the place where we bought the car is making good on it. Lucky for us it's a cheap and easy fix.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 01:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

Hopefully they get the part from the dealer. It is probably the Cam Sensor, when mine went I got the codes for both, the one for the Crank more or less says something in the order of being unable to determine if the crank is aligned correctly to the cam .... which would be hard for the little robots to do if they have no input from the Cam sensor.

My new Chrysler crank sensor is now in my spare PT Cruiser parts bin .... I am sure it will fit either of mine.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 13 Apr 2011, 04:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks. I just got a message from my wife that the place where we bought the car is making good on it. Lucky for us it's a cheap and easy fix.
Excellent, but insist they use Chrysler parts, the aftermarket ones have been reported flaky.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 13 Apr 2011, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unfortunately it was a done deal by the time my wife got hold of me. The car was on its way home before I knew.
Old 13 Apr 2011, 08:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Unfortunately it was a done deal by the time my wife got hold of me. The car was on its way home before I knew.
It could be fine, but don't sweat it, a cam sensor is 30-40 bucks from the dealer and with the instructions here it's a 10 minute job if it ever acts up again.

Old 13 Apr 2011, 11:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
It could be fine, but don't sweat it, a cam sensor is 30-40 bucks from the dealer and with the instructions here it's a 10 minute job if it ever acts up again.
And 8 minutes of that is the round the block test drive and the 5 minute beer after you pat yourself on the back!

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 14 Apr 2011, 03:35 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
And 8 minutes of that is the round the block test drive and the 5 minute beer after you pat yourself on the back!

I was counting finding the right tools and than cleaning up, but I like the way your thinking better

Old 14 Apr 2011, 07:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

"Cleaning up"? I bought my 16 year old an immaculate 2005 PT Cruiser for his birthday. He's cleaning up. Right after he fetches me a beer.

"PC": The delusional belief that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin