Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Overheating when AC on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2011, 08:23 am
Young Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Overheating when AC on?

Ok 78k miles on the car. I have had the car for about 2 years now and was just hit with this. I turn on the AC for a short drive to pickup my son from school yesterday. I get home turn the car off and i smell "radiator"! I look at the temp gauge its sitting in the middle where it should be. I hear the rumble of boiling water and smell it through the vents. So i say ok and let it cool replace all my fluids run 50/50 and let it sit for the rest of the day. I took another short drive 10 miles or so to test it out everything looks fine, I get home shut it off and WHAMMO same thing!! Now im wondering wtf! The temp gauge is fine it moves like it should it doesn't get stuck. So i tried running it without the AC on and just let it idle to see if it over heats 20 minutes idling i turn it off and its fine. Any ideas? I would think if it were something simple like a bad ac compressor it wouldnt work at all "the air that is". Im not sure any help is ALWAYS appreciated you guys n gals have helped me time and time again much love as always
Old 14 Apr 2011, 08:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Overheating when AC on?

With the right amount of coolant and no air in the system, the boiling point (which your hearing) is way above the normal 220. Did you notice if you were low at all in coolant when you replaced all the fluids (hope you used the recommended HOAT coolant)? Did you bleed the air out of the system after you refilled it.

If YES to all, you could now have a partially blocked radiator from the wrong fluid being in it the first time not letting the coolant flow freely around the engine. Did you check the oil for any kinds of other mixture in it (like oil) and did the coolant you took out have any gunk or oil in it? Looking for a cracked head gasket here with those questions.

Last, gotta ask if the radiator fan comes on when everything is cold and you turn on the A/C. Cold engine or not, the fan should come on with the A/C.

Don't leave any checks out. At 78K anything including the radiator cap orr thermostat could go bad.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 09:15 am
Young Cruiser

Ahh i did not run any special Antifreeze didn't realize i should Whoopsie? And i also did not bleed any air out of the radiator whoopsie again? What kind of AF should i be using please let me know CREWZIN. I have looked on the forum and found the correct way to bleed the air out of the unit as well. You sir are a man amongst men thank you once again for saving my ass! Ahh nm a little google search and your name pops up EVERYWHERE on these forums i have my answer now Zerex G-05 Thank you sir have a wonderful day.

Last edited by invidious; 14 Apr 2011 at 09:33 am.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 09:37 am
Cool Cruiser

From the sound of it .... you may have a heater core leak. Since it is not spilling out on your feet it may be small, but when they get big it happens quick. I would do this to check. Turn the A/C OFF and leave it off no matter how hot the drive is, do your 10 - 15 minute drive to bring up to operating temp and maybe start its rumbling and hissing through the vents. When you get home park on a clean DRY peice of pavement and let the car sit not running for several minutes. If there is no water on the ground behind the front wheel line, probably on the passenger side but maybe all the way accross then it is most likely not the heater core loosing coolant and dripping it out of the A/C water drain which has you smelling it outside the car and inside through the vents.

Good luck nailing it down, I had a 380SL that gurgled all the time for years, 4 import mechs could not solve its gurgle then be fine after it reached the bottom of the red zone and came down for the rest of the trip. I finally took matters into my own hands and changed the water pump and thermostat and did not have the problem ever again.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 14 Apr 2011, 11:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Invidious,

I don't see Zerex G-05 on the list of recommended licensed ATF +4 brands.

Licensed ATF+4 Brand Names
Old 14 Apr 2011, 11:42 am
Cool Cruiser

I thought yall were talking about AntiFreeze here!

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 14 Apr 2011, 11:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Wooops. Your right. Got my mind wondering and doing 3 things at once. Leaving tomorrow for Virginia Beach and sneaking a peak at the forums between doing other things. Got off track. Thanks.

What I should have said is be sure it has the recommended HOAT properties in the coolant

But in case anyone was reading this besides you, that's the new list of approved trans fluid.