PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Could this be an electrical problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2011, 02:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jkranites
Exclamation Could this be an electrical problem

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser, and I have no idea what is going on, maybe you guys can help me. I got into a car accident back in December, and I recieved my car back in Jan. Since than I have had a little problem that has turned into a big problem.

My rear drivers side electronic lock no longer works, I always hear a loud buzzing sound when I open the locks on my car.

Now recently my car will not turn on sometimes, like there will be no power in the car at all. Than like magic the power turns back on after a few moments.

As of yesterday now when I manuelly put my key in the drivers side door, to unlock the whole car, but only the drivers side unlocks...are all these problems related possibly?

I am sorry if this is confusing but I dont know what to do, Please any suggestions Thank you.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Could this be an electrical problem

First of all, I can answer one of the complaints. When you use the key to open the door, only the drivers door is supposed to open, not all the others. If you turn the key a second time, then all the other doors including the rear hatch will unlock. First problem solved.

When you heard the buzz can you tell where it's coming from? You have a module called the RKEM and it's inside the dash above the radio and it controls all the looks. It could be going bad but it shouldn't have anything to do with not being able to start the car. That could be the ignition switch itself or a bad connection from the switch to the starter.

Old 14 Apr 2011, 02:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to jkranites

Well I just tried the key thing, and it didnt work, so Idk.

Well the buzzing noise is coming from the rear drivers side door, when I try to unlock it remotely or from the car the lock wont unlock just buzz, but when I lock it it works.

Any thoughts? Battery maybe or fuses??
Old 14 Apr 2011, 03:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

I am so glad I got a Base Model many times. My kids 01 had about the same problems as you are describing after she was rearended about 5 months after I bought the car.
The shop took appart the passenger door to repaint for minimal damage and fixed the major damage in the rear hatch, roll pan etc. After they returned the car it had many of your cars problems and the FogLight switch issue. There are sensors inside the front doors and hatch, when played with they split, on rainy days they misread and cause all the problems. She had to take to dealer, they first replaced the RKEM as Crewzin suggested checking, the problems persisted .... thats when I started researching and found the sensors issues as a possibilty. Since those have been replaced there has been no problems. I believe the car not starting is related because the RKEM involves the security/immobilizer, her alarm would go off often when she opened the drivers door and her hatch and doors would not always lock.

If I recall the sensors are cheap, the labor expensive .... the RKEM was expensive and with them going in after it twice totally ruined the older style brittle dash, the gave us a good price on a new one they had one our non black color in stock for a special order not picked up for a long time. She had to resubmit claims to the insurance co for all the extra work, you may be able to also ... if so take it to dealer.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1