PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 pt timing problem

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2011, 02:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 pt timing problem

Sorry, I have read the threads but my mechanic insists he did the job right.

Timing belt broke. Mechanic replaced the belt and the water pump. Check engine light came on. Rechecked the timing and it was perfect but code said problem with timing. Cruise control would not work, upon hard acceleration engine would cut out and almost quit until you let off gas. Mechanic rechecked the timing again and said it was perfect. Check engine light would come on after about 10 minutes. While chec engine light was off everything ran perfect. Engine light comes on cruise control gone plus engine craps out.
Mechanic suggested that I take it to the Chrysler dealership to check the computer. From what I have read it is probably the timing. Any other solutions?

Sorry so long winded but a newbie with a problem
Old 14 Apr 2011, 03:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 pt timing problem

John, suggest you check the timing yourself if possible. I doubt your mechanic did anything to recheck the timing, he just said it was correct. Your symptoms have not changed since he returned the car to you.

Also can you provide the actual code numbers that you are seeing?
Old 14 Apr 2011, 04:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4safari View Post
John, suggest you check the timing yourself if possible. I doubt your mechanic did anything to recheck the timing, he just said it was correct. Your symptoms have not changed since he returned the car to you.

Also can you provide the actual code numbers that you are seeing?
I was going to say that too .... unless of course you actually watched him do it.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 14 Apr 2011, 04:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

There was another post last week which showed a screen shot of the Dealer OBD III diagnostic tool. I bet taking it in to the dealer and hooking up that reader will tell you EXACTLY where the cam timing is relative to the crankshaft. At this point, that is pretty much your last card to play. For your mechanic to actually check the timing belt accuracy without the OBDIII tool would entail a teardown to the belts which is a pretty big job.

alan
Old 14 Apr 2011, 08:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well, you can check the intake camshaft with the DRB but the exhaust is not monitored. You can check the timing marks without dismantling everything. Bring to TDC and take the top timing cover off.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry to jump in here but this might help john also...how to do you check to make sure your Crankshaft is at TDC on the compression stroke...Could it be possible that when his mechanic put everything back on that he lined up the cams and had the crank lined up on the wrong stroke? That might fire off timing codes, not sure just guessing here.

2005 PT Cruiser
Touring edition
2.4L DOHC
Old 30 Nov 2014, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Rehashing a very old thread but I didn't want to start a new one for this and doubt the original poster is still around to confirm the problem/resolution.

I just did a bunch of work to my sister in laws pt cruiser and set timing according to the book (Haynes). I'm thinking i have the timing off somehow as the motor wont start at all. Good fuel, spark and compression. No start, almost as if its firing on the exhaust stroke
Old 30 Nov 2014, 06:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85burbanator View Post
Rehashing a very old thread but I didn't want to start a new one for this and doubt the original poster is still around to confirm the problem/resolution.

I just did a bunch of work to my sister in laws pt cruiser and set timing according to the book (Haynes). I'm thinking i have the timing off somehow as the motor wont start at all. Good fuel, spark and compression. No start, almost as if its firing on the exhaust stroke
It is hitting?

HARMONIC BALANCER & CRANK SPROCKET REMOVEL AND INSTALL TOOL AND TIPS!!!!

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 30 Nov 2014, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

As in trying to start? Nope.

I replaced the crank and bearings due to the awesome design of these and took good measurements like In your post, which I may have read prior to the job. Used pullers and "installers" haha others than prybars and hammers. Timing marks all lined up, did the rotate of the motor a few times to verify marks, they where ok. At that point I slapped everything back together as required and reinstalled the motor.

Went through, everything 100 times to make sure everything was good. Reconnected everything and double checked, then triple checked. Tried to start it and nothing, checked spark and compression. The spark plugs where strong with fuel so I removed the plugs again and let it sit for a bit. Removed the fuel line and turned the motor over a bit to try and clear it out. Reassembled and tried to to start with no luck. It did try to fire but didn't start. That's where I left it. Its dark and miserable out.
Old 30 Nov 2014, 06:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85burbanator View Post
As in trying to start? Nope.

I replaced the crank and bearings due to the awesome design of these and took good measurements like In your post, which I may have read prior to the job. Used pullers and "installers" haha others than prybars and hammers. Timing marks all lined up, did the rotate of the motor a few times to verify marks, they where ok. At that point I slapped everything back together as required and reinstalled the motor.

Went through, everything 100 times to make sure everything was good. Reconnected everything and double checked, then triple checked. Tried to start it and nothing, checked spark and compression. The spark plugs where strong with fuel so I removed the plugs again and let it sit for a bit. Removed the fuel line and turned the motor over a bit to try and clear it out. Reassembled and tried to to start with no luck. It did try to fire but didn't start. That's where I left it. Its dark and miserable out.
You might check to see if you mixed up the cam and coil plugs. people get them swapped and it wont start.
LionPT likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com

Tags
cruise control, timing