Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 Randomly overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Apr 2011, 06:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 Randomly overheating

My 02 PT has been randomly overheating for the last few weeks. Over winter I replaced the water pump and recently had the radiator & fan looked at and they still check out.

Going to class tonight while in brief traffic, the temp almost went to the notch above the midpoint temps but went down rapidly. I idled for a bit in the parking lot and the needle didn't budge at all.

Could this be a bad thermometer?
Old 14 Apr 2011, 07:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 Randomly overheating

That's thermostat not thermometer. You said the temp rose and dropped rapidly. When it did that, were you up to speed of about 35mph? Sure sounds like the fan not working properly. At speed the air coming in through the front end is enough to cool things off. If you fan wasn't turning, you'd heat up and then you reached 30-40mph that incoming air would cool things off rapidly as you described. Who told you the fan was working? They might have seen the low speed fan running and not the high speed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Apr 2011 at 07:43 pm.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 07:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I was going maybe 20-25? It was a residential area and I was stuck behind a landscaping truck.

I took it to a shop and they said it worked alright; I ran the AC on and heard a fan as well.
Old 14 Apr 2011, 07:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well then, it's a matter of finding out what's causing it. Thermostat, air in the cooling system, partially blocked radiator. My last guess is a stuck thermostat since it dropped from overheating to being OK, maybe it stuck closed for awhile and finally opened up.

That's it for me. Gotta hit the sack. Heading for Virginia beach (741 miles) early (4am) tomorrow.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.