PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Camshaft seals and crankshaft seal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2011, 03:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Camshaft seals and crankshaft seal?

Looking for tips from someone who has replaced these during a timing belt change. Do I need the special tools? Seal pullers and installers. Can I just use a o-ring prick set or a screw driver for removal and find a deep well socket or something of the correct diameter to drive the new seal home?
Old 20 Apr 2011, 08:24 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Camshaft seals and crankshaft seal?

I have never picked a camshaft seal out before, but it is possible. Having seal drivers are big plus, I use my set all the time. However before I invested in the seal drivers I used to pull the old seals and reverse them and then use a deep well socket to drive the old seal reversed against the new seal into position until it seated. This works well with most steel housing seals.

I have honestly never had to replace a crankshaft seal on an engine, I would do it if it were leaking already though. If it aint broke donít try fix it is my motto, the crankshaft and bearing caps have such a tight tolerance they really stay on center all the time. If you have a manual transmission you may get some end float with time due to wear and pressure from the clutch. That being said its up to you, the service manual does show its possible to replace the crankshaft seal with minimal parts removal once you are past the timing belt.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Camshaft seals and crankshaft seal?

Thanks 4x4safari for the reply. The crusier has 106,000 miles on it and I am replacing the timing belt and water pump. I just thought since I would be that far into the repair I should replace the seals at this time. It is my daughters first car and I want it to last for her.

I ordered parts from Rock Auto. Now I am trying to get the special tools I need ordered for doing all the work.

Thanks again.