Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Location of 2009 Horn Relay

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2011, 11:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Location of 2009 Horn Relay

Just joined...my first post...Can any one tell my where my horn relay is located...I am having sticking horn problems...want to check relay before attempting to replace the horn switch
Thanks

Last edited by James001; 16 Apr 2011 at 11:13 pm.
Old 17 Apr 2011, 09:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Location of 2009 Horn Relay

Since no one answered...I have found that the horn relay is located in the PDC under the hood. The service manual indicates that you'll need a special tool (C-4817) to remove the relay. Grip the relay by the sides and pull upward with an even effort to remove. With a little ingenuity you will probably be able to remove the relay without the special tool.

Here is the possible causes for a sticking horn...
1. Faulty horn relay. (Horn relay is in the PDC under the hood).
2. Horn control circuit to relay shorted to ground.
3. Pinched horn switch wire under driver airbag module.
4. Faulty horn switch.

Just in case any one else is experiencing the same problem
Old 20 Apr 2011, 12:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have disconnected my horn by removing a wire at the horn...was easy to access just remove plastic cover at front right side near bumper (looks like a possible future fog light location)
I do not have a relay in my fuse box (TIPM totally integrated power module).
The dealer sold me a relay for $15 (even though I don’t have one for this car ,,, anything for a buck) and gave me an outdated schematic of the fuse box but does not look like the one on my car (,,,great customer relations)

I have tried replacing the four relays under my hood but none of them were for the horn
I suspect that this 2009 PT Cruiser may not have a relay but may be controlled by the power module
Unfortunately I can not get any information on this subject (ignorance is a Chrysler/ auto shop money maker) so I will continue to try and figure out this problem
Guess my only option will be to try and remove and test the horn switch on the steering wheel which is also got the air bag…always important to disconnect the battery for ˝ hour before playing with the air bag
It would seem that a horn problem on a PT Cruiser can be a very costly repair
One might think that such a design was a real money making idea for Chrysler, it is becoming more and more difficult to do your own repairs
Old 20 Apr 2011, 12:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like the dealer gave you the relay for the 01-05 cruisers. That's the one in the PDC. Changed the name to TIPM in 2006 and put all the fuses and relays in one box. Before that, there were two fuse boxes, one in the interior and the other was the PDC under the hood.

Still can't help you with the way the horn is controlled (relay or something else) but this might help if Chrysler hasn't changed the steering wheel make-up.

Old 20 Apr 2011, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, been out sick so not paying much attention.
06 and up the horn is controlled directly by the TIPM, there is no horn relay in these models.

My apologies, James, I could have saved you some time and trouble. Entire family is sick, so not really "all there" at the moment, if you know what I mean.

In the diagnostics in the service manual, it states that you should see DTC's from the TIPM if you've got a bad horn or circuit.

Heres some diagnostic steps for "horn switch stuck" fault:

This next section, for the clock spring, is where many of us, myself included, have seen faults with this model PT. Mine, I could hit that steering wheel dead center with a baseball bat and it wouldn't honk. PITA! This is your likely cause/culprit:

Now I'm really not feeling well enough to do my normal level of helping out here, so if you want a copy of the manuals please email me and I'll get them to you, or rather you can download them from my web library, I'm just not well today....eeeuuuuwww....