Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2011, 11:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C ?

My wife has a 2001 pt and the compressor will not stay running. I will run and turn off, then back on, and off over and over. I checked the pressure and it seems fine, it never drops into the low level side. I haved checked this with two different gauges. I was thinking the pressure switch, but not sure how to check it. Was told that it could be that the compressor may need to be replaced. Took it to two different shops and they tell me two differnt things. Is there a way I can test any of it myself? Just don't want to throw parts at it that it does not need. Thanks for any help!
Old 17 Apr 2011, 12:13 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: A/C ?

what does it sound like when it does run? when you say the pressure are you talking about the freon?
Old 17 Apr 2011, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It sounds normal when it runs, and yes I mean the freon. It will come on and run for about 30-60 seconds and then go off for the same amount of time, then back on and back off. It will just continue the same cycle until I turn it off.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 03:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Sounds normal to me. Does your A/C not blow cold? You really need to know the low and high side pressures to properly diagnose it if there is a problem. You said you hooked up gauges, do you remember the pressures?
Old 18 Apr 2011, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

pressure switch failure or low coolant level, likely the latter
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:15 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
pressure switch failure or low coolant level, likely the latter

Coolant ... or Refrigerant? I agree with pressure switch (or possible wiring of switch) or refrigerant level, but the gauges should give a better indication of what it is.

As for normal, I do not beleive Chrysler put a climate control system in any trim levels of the PT Cruiser as can be found in the higher end 300's which allow you to select an interior temperature and it will do it's best to maintain it by cycling the compressor or adding heat.

BTW .... Glad to see you are OK in your part of N.C.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1

Last edited by SilverSport; 18 Apr 2011 at 10:18 am.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok I checked the psi on the freon again with two different gauges and the numbers are about the same. With the system not on the psi reads 85 and with the system running it will read 35 for about a min, then it will go off and pressure go back to 60 before the compressor comes back on and then back to 45 before it turns itself back off again. Then the cycle would just repeat itself over and over. Is there away to check the pressure swith?
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'm feeling like 340 pounds of hammered shite right now, so need to go lay down. There is an entire section in the service manual dedicated to the AC troubleshooting, if you don't have one, email me at the address I'm going to PM you, and I'll set you up to access my web library. I have all the service manuals, parts catalogs, user manuals, everything PT related.

Silver, yes I meant refrigerant, and yes, we were lucky to be 2 hours southwest of the bigger issues. We still had trees down across streets, stuff like that, but not as bad as Raleigh had it.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 08:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

A compressor cycling is normal. They are not variable displacement pumps so they will cycle on and off. You gave the low side pressures which sounds about normal. Did you get the high side pressures? Does the A/C not work?

What does low coolant have to do with a compressor cycling? I doubt a bad switch, the compressor would likely never come on at all if you had a bad switch.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It dose blow cold while it is running, and of course hot when it is not so I can tell when it kicks off and on. Do not have the high pressure side readings. I was told that if the pressure switch is faulty it will make it turn off and on. Is that not true? Not sure why it keeps cycling on and off. One shop told me it needs a whole new system. The other said to just top off the freon which I have already did but still does not make a difference.