PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How can I settle a 2005 GT Turbo Convertible down?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2011, 05:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to HO_Turbo
Default How can I settle a 2005 GT Turbo Convertible down?

My girlfriend has a 2005 GT HO Turbo convertible, and I spend a lot of time driving it. At work, I drive Porsche 356s and 911s. I currently own a 2005 Corolla Cockroach. One day I was driving my lady's PT, and attacked a nice smooth constant radius exit ramp with a bit of gusto. Lots of understeer, uncontrolled movement. I almost lost it! It had about 50k on it, running stock size 17" Yokohama AVIDs with a fresh 4 wheel alignment at the time. I know it is mainly a cruiser, but I can push my Corolla through the same corner 10 15 mph faster with no drama. It has more miles on it now, and it is definitely time for new shocks/struts. Any suggestions? Any good sway bars? I want to be able to hustle this thing around without sliding off of the road.
Old 17 Apr 2011, 06:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How can I settle a 2005 GT Turbo Convertible down?

I would suggest giving it a small drop, like H&R Sport springs - 1.4" rear, 1.3" front, and install Tokico Blue shocks and struts.

As to sways, on the front you don't need to worry about a sway bar, but a very inexpensive strut tower brace on the vert's is almost a necessity. Sway for the rears - well there are several selections and it's sort of up to the person getting it. Myself, I wanted a Progress sway bar for the rear but now it looks like they don't do the vert anymore. At one time I wanted Progress because their rear sway was solid and 22mm while the Eibach was 20mm, but now Eibach stepped up their rear sway and it's also 22mm. Also the Eibach is less expensive and easier to get.

Just remember, if you get a rear sway kit, you need to make sure the 'dog bones' are in there, also called the link braces.