Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My final tech question of the night...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2011, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default My final tech question of the night...

I wouldn't mind lowering the Cruiser. You get what you pay for but I have no interest in paying a arm and a leg to do this. I am looking to drop the Cruiser just above the wheels and rid of the rake look. Recommendations for kits or any home made kits floating around?
Old 18 Apr 2011, 03:11 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to CreepyPT
Default Re: My final tech question of the night...

There are a LOT of posts about lowering kits. If you use the search feature up top, you'll have reading material for hours.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 03:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can find a few home made kits, usually they are cut springs, and I for one would not get anywhere near them. Two years ago, on a Cruise with 14 cars from our club, one two cars up had cut his springs, hit a good sized bump and on rebound the PT kicked out both rear springs, right into the front end of the PT behind him.

You want to drop it, do it right or you become a liability on the road. If you want to really drop it, look for Goldline Slammers, Slayer has them on his PT and he's got dozens of photos in posts on this site.

When my life is riding on it, cheap ain't the decision I'm going to make. When it involves my kids, who ride in my car every day, there is no way I'm going cheap and ghetto on my ride. You're just asking for trouble if you do.

Last edited by Chromenut; 18 Apr 2011 at 03:59 pm.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Those Goldline Slammers look like a winner but I am torn between a nice airbag kit. The idea of being able to slam the the car to the ground when parked just seems sexy. Any members here running a airbag suspension with pros and cons?
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

LowPT can speak on rear airbags, and Candyman, when he's back and healthy can also speak on them. There's several members over on PTCrew who have them too. Personally, would love to have them if they had a direct fit kit, and if they were under $750!! NOT
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I for sure thought the PT's would have direct kits by now with how long they have been around. Surely someone would have noticed how high the cruisers sit and would make a kit specific for them. Wouldnt expect the kit to be cheap anyway. Figure anywhere between 1500 and 2 grand.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

I don't know about you guys but my PT seems as if it's about as low as it can get without scraping any of the thousands of driveway entrances my wife seems to drive into while shopping away my retirement ....

Seriously, there are a number of driveway entrances in town that require that we enter at an angle--else we'll scrape that plastic piece under the bumper.

The lines of the PT seem low enough, just leaving it stock. But if you really want to scrape up the bottom of your PT--and do so economically--why not try some lower profile tires?

Tim
Old 20 Apr 2011, 03:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I really like my ride stance and height after dropping it. Not as thrilled with the added stiffness, but long as I stay out of potholes it's okay. As to driveways, entrances, speed bumps, etc., you're right! What a PITA! Have to go all gangsta entering places, where I have to attack the entrance at an angle so I don't scrape! Ho hum, such is the life of a low-rider...hahahahahaha
Old 20 Apr 2011, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
I don't know about you guys but my PT seems as if it's about as low as it can get without scraping any of the thousands of driveway entrances my wife seems to drive into while shopping away my retirement ....

Seriously, there are a number of driveway entrances in town that require that we enter at an angle--else we'll scrape that plastic piece under the bumper.

The lines of the PT seem low enough, just leaving it stock. But if you really want to scrape up the bottom of your PT--and do so economically--why not try some lower profile tires?

Tim
I have low pro's already. No matter how thin of a tire I get, that big ass gap will still be there in the fender well. Thats why I have a interest in airbags so clearing driveways wont be a issue.