Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2011, 02:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default help

hello i have been reading a lot of thing on here first off let me introduce myself i have a 2001 pt manual little over 10k miles all of a sudden it start acting up it will drive fine then I'm going down the road it acts like it out of gas kinda will not let me shift out of first or go over 20 mph i let the car sit and go back out to have someone else see what it doping it run fine for a day or so then dose it again. help thank you in advance .
Old 18 Apr 2011, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: help

Welcome to the Forum rebekah!!! Have you done the key dance to see if you are throwing and codes. Have the plugs or wires been changed lately???? Where are you located? Please fill out your profile IF you haven't.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Apr 2011, 09:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You definitely will be throwing codes if your PT is going into Limp Home Mode.
Old 18 Apr 2011, 09:54 am
Cool Cruiser

Welcome to the funny farm ..... 10K miles, reallly?

Since it is a manual .... I doubt it is limp mode as usually discussed here for N/A Auto Tranny cars. Sounds like the way mine behaved when the Cam Position Sensor went out. It would buck over about 1500 RPM, I could get to about 20MPH in second gear .... was lucky it did it at work which is mostly 20-25K sitewide so I did not try any other gears. Not sure why you would not be able to get it out of first gear though??? Do the key dance and post any codes you get. If it is CMP it will usually throw two codes, one for the Cam Sensor and one about the Crank Sensor. Cam is easist to change, evan a man can do it so I am sure you'll have no problem, hahaha, just be sure to get the part from a Chrysler dealer or you will most likely get more chances to change it when the aftermarket part fails prematurely.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:09 am
Fresh Cruiser

hello I'm from Iowa no it not showing any codes I meant 100.000 miles no I have not changed the spark plugs or whir es yet what would you suggest. ?they did replace the o2 sensor last week and it still acting up .
Old 18 Apr 2011, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I wonder if they used an OEM sensor or an after-market one. Our PT's do not work well with sensors other than factory. So, no codes? That is odd....
Old 18 Apr 2011, 11:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I been calling all the places in town no one seam to know eny thing the dealer want to charge me 75 an hr to see what it is i dont have thet kida money. grr I have put a new power stering pump belt and oz sensor on it and checked the brakes on the frount .
Old 18 Apr 2011, 03:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok took the pt for a drive to see if it would do it again check engain light came on now codes 1684 and 0420 are xcomeing on it also looked like the frount driver side brake where smokeing . grrrr
Old 18 Apr 2011, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

P1684 BATTERY DISCONNECT Battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts (status indicator
only - NOT a reported fault code)
Old 18 Apr 2011, 04:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

At least it sounds like they did not check the front brakes for you correctly. Now about that O2 Sensor they replaced, was it the one between the engine and Cat converter or the one after the Cat converter. The code you are getting is for either a bad performing Cat Converter or a Bad O2 Sensor after the Cat Converter. If the Cat converter is clogged and has failed, you will notice a strong LACK of performance, kinda like not being able to pass grannies in a rocking chair race!

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1