PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2.4 engine swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Apr 2011, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2.4 engine swap

Hil,

New here. I have a big question. I have a 2002 PT 2.4 and I want to put a 2003 2.4 engine in it. What are the major differences.

Krozby
Old 18 Apr 2011, 02:36 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2.4 engine swap

2002's have a separate TCM and PCM IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 18 Apr 2011, 03:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
2002's have a separate TCM and PCM IIRC.
Can I use the ones from the 2002?

Pat
Old 18 Apr 2011, 04:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK I think I have this figured out. The TCM is the transmission computer module and the PCM is the powertrain computer module. The 2003 motor.that I want to use, has a cracked intake manifold on it so I would be using the 2002 manifold on it. I will also be using the 2002 transmission. Couldnt I just swap all the sensors and anything electronic from the 2002 motor onto the 2003 motor and hook it up as a 2002, or would there be a problem switching everything?

Pat
Old 18 Apr 2011, 08:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

No, the 02 is SBEC and the 03 uses an NGC computer. Basically, the way the cam and crank signal is sent is different (different number of spaces on the tone ring). You're better off to find one out of an 02.

What's wrong with the engine anyways? The lower ends are pretty bullet proof and the newer heads will work on the older ones. Might be worth fixing if it's just a head issue.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: 2.4 engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floundering View Post
No, the 02 is SBEC and the 03 uses an NGC computer. Basically, the way the cam and crank signal is sent is different (different number of spaces on the tone ring). You're better off to find one out of an 02.

What's wrong with the engine anyways? The lower ends are pretty bullet proof and the newer heads will work on the older ones. Might be worth fixing if it's just a head issue.
I bought the car not running, needing a timing belt. I was going to just change the timing belt and decided to do a valve job while I was at it, partly just to make sure there was no valve damage. When I pulled the cam caps off I found them to be scored pretty badly, the cam journals are also scored. I took the head to a machine shop a friend of mine has and he said to look for another head. I couldnt find a head readily available but I did find an entire engine from a 2003 with 40 thousand on it for $400, the car was totaled and the engine has a cracked intake on it. If I were to buy this engine for the head I would assume I would have to change the sensor on the end of the cam. Wouldnt it be just as easy to change the sensor for the crank as well and just use that engine.

Pat
Old 19 Apr 2011, 05:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crank position sensor is in a completely different position for an NGC block-- that's the biggest issue you'll run into.

Old 19 Apr 2011, 07:52 pm
Regular Cruiser

I just went through the head issue myself. The best way to go about it is find a good head and use your old cam if it's good. I didn't know any better and put an 05 head on my 02 with the camshafts that were in it.

It wouldn't start. After a little research, I used my old cam magnet, shaved off the alignment tabs, and turned it 90 degrees. After that, all was well. The crank signal comes off the crankshaft itself however and will not be easily solved.

I found my head on ebay for $150 shipped. All the local junkyards didn't want to separate from a known good engine.

Here's some great info here for interchange information:

Rebuilding The Chrysler 2.4L: Engine Builder

Also, the egr port can be drilled. I did mine with my drill press but I'm sure a machine shop can do it for you for pretty cheap. Just an fyi if you find a newer one but no egr.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well i managed to find a 2.4 head on a 2002 PT in a bone yard, it caught fire and the intake was melted but the valve covers are intact and the head looks good so I'll take a chance and use it. Thanks for all the help guy's and girls. Wish me luck I might need it.

Pat
Old 22 Apr 2011, 09:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Another bad head, the cam journals are scored as well as the head and the caps. Anybody know where I can find a good 2002 head?

Pat