Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine wants to turn but no spark..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2011, 11:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Engine wants to turn but no spark..

I'm having a real problem with my 2001 PT cruiser.

I have only had it for about 3 months but it had developed a problem with the radiator boiling and making funny noises but the coolant level doesn't change, there are no leaks as it's a new radiator and it has been looked at by a Chrysler dealer. They say it is nothing to worry about and it's just the coolant runing into the expantion tank.

I have had had problems with the engine seemingly misfiring slightly on motorways and just last week it cut out completely when I had to jam on the brakes on a narrow road because some idiot in a van decided that he was just going to drive straight at me without slowing down on a steep gradient. I was going up hill and had plenty of petrol as I had filled the tank not long before. After stopping the engine cut out, the petrol Gauge alarm was bleeping at me and it just wouldn't start. I pumped the throttle which eventually got it going but as I was driving home it was still bleeping at me and the engine kept cuttng out which also took the power stearing with it.

I checked the oil and it was slightly low so I topped it up and checked the radiator which seemed fine, coolant level was ok (Still making funny gurgling noises) Everything was fine and it started running again with no problems. So have been using it to get to a from work and into town etc...

Yesterday lunchtime I drove 14 miles to my MIL house with no problems until we got just outside her road and the engine started to misfire again and he petrol gauge started bleeping again and then it started to cut out and stall. I managed to park the car outside the house and that was it... it refused to start from then.

I called the roadside recovery service who came along, sprayed something into the air filter and without even looking at the engine or switching it on told me it was an electrical fault. They then said that they would send a recovery truck to pick up the car and my family and get us home, which they did 3 hours later.

Today, I have been all over the car, taken the plugs out, replaced with new ones, checked the leads, fuel pump and fuses. I discovered that the spark plugs weren't working so it was obvioulsy something to do with the ignition coil. I had a friend check it and he said the same thing. There is no power going from the ignition to the spark plugs. The ignition turns but that is it.

I bought a new ignition coil and replaced it and now the ignition turns and it seems a lot better but it just doesn't want to start.

At first I though it was probably something to do with the fuel pump or a blockage somewhere but I honestly thing it's something to do with the ignition system.

Without getting it to a Chrysler garage there is not much else I can do as the nearest is miles away and our garages nearby are so expensive just for a diagnostic and I don't get paid till next month.

I'm hoping that someone can suggest something as I really need the car for work otherwise I'm a bit stuck.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 01:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Engine wants to turn but no spark..

Diagnosis is key here. You can't "think" it is ignition. You need to know.

For openers, try this link and follow the instructions:

Error Codes

That might get you into the ball park.

alan
Old 19 Apr 2011, 01:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Since it is a bit older, there have been a number of threads here that mention the wiring harness for the cam position sensor or crank position sensor passing closely to a moving part like one of the drive axels and wearing through the insulation thus cuasing problem like you are describing. This has not happened to me and I can't locate the wire they are describing on my 06 so maybe chrysler fixed the problem. Look for some of those threads about that harness.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 19 Apr 2011, 05:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

So, what exactly happens when you turn the key? Can you hear the starter engage or does nothing happen? Is your PT auto or manual? I'm also assuming you're most likely over in the UK somewhere as per 'petrol', etc, so you've probably got the 2.0 and not the 2.4-- correct?

Old 19 Apr 2011, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi and thanx for the replies. i tried the code sequence and it came up with p 0320 , p 1193 witch i could not find on the list (googled it tho) and p 1684. i have had the engine in bits today and spent a good 8 hours going thru wires and plugs,coil pack etc. I replaced the plugs, mended all the wires that looked dodgy and spent a small fortune on the ingnition coil pack. and nothing . the last option is to get a new crank shaft sensor i got told by the garage . i cleaned the fuel injectors and the air intake and the manifold as well. . Chris15. the only thing that happens when i turn the key is that it all turns over wanting to start but it will not egnite the plugs to burn the petrol. It just turns and nothing else. Silversport, Thanx i will do as the former owner has been playing round with the electrics and there is a lot of things not working properly. Thanx for the codes and how to find them alanrw....
Old 19 Apr 2011, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

chris15 Sorry forgot to mention that it is the 2.0 ltr engine i got.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 09:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

I got my mechanic mate to come and look and he said it WAS the crankshaft sensor that needed replacing. Does this sound right as I don't want to spend more money than I have to. He's a very good mechanic and knows what he is talking about although he doesn't see many Chrislers, but a second opinion would be great.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It's appreciated
Old 21 Apr 2011, 10:11 am
Regular Cruiser

Hmm, he might be right but wouldn't you expect to see one of these:

P0336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor A Performance
P0337 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit Low Duty Cycle
P0338 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit High Duty Cycle
P0339 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent

In post #5 you state your did get a P0320 code.

P0320 Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction

I'd be looking into that for openers.

alan

Last edited by alanrw; 21 Apr 2011 at 10:15 am.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 10:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

I don't recall the codes when my Cam Sensor went ... it did throw two ... one was CAM and enough to believe it was the bad part .... the other mentioned Crank Sensor but sounded more like it could not verify the cam and crank were in alighnment, which would happen if the cam sensor was not working right. I bought both but have only used the Cam sensor.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 22 Apr 2011, 12:02 am
Senior Cruiser

Sometimes cam and crank sensors will go bad without a code. Sounds about right.