PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Upgrade Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2011, 03:47 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Upgrade Recommendations

Hi Guys-

Did several of the standard mods that was recommended at PT Crew. Ordered a new front strut brace today and looking to get a header. I was looking at the Edelbrock 47490. Has any one ever installed one? does it "bolt right on"? can it be used with the stock factory cat/exhaust? Performance gains?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 19 Apr 2011, 04:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Upgrade Recommendations

Edelbrock makes a good piece, but most people on here have gone with Hedman. I'm sure installation is fairly straightforward-- the bitch is gonna be the lower exhaust manifold bolts-- you'll have to go from the bottom, in most cases. Should mate up to stock exhaust. And you MIGHT see 3-5hp (only speculation-- nobody's dyno'd before or after), but it'll make slight changes in WHERE you see the power and it'll sound slightly better.

Old 19 Apr 2011, 04:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Unless you're going all out Stage 2, or into 3, then replacing the header is a waste of money.

If you go for a header, then get you a larger IC and turbo. Might as well mate it up while you're at it. Otherwise, you're doing a lot of work and spending a lot of money, and you won't reap any benefits.
Old 19 Apr 2011, 04:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

If he's talking about replacing the header, then he's obviously not referring to the GT/turbo PT. The exhaust manifold and turbo are an integrated unit and cannot be replaced separately, so the stage kits will do absolutely nothing for an N/A.

Old 20 Apr 2011, 10:02 am
Cool Cruiser

From my experience with my Beetle (which is a turbo), the best low dollar mod you can make to improve the performance of your car is to firm up the engine mounts so you the power you have goes to the ground as quickly as possible and not lost in the suspension of the powerplant. After that a No Dollar mod is getting experience leaving the line.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:57 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the input guys!

Chris you are correct, it is a N/A, sorry I should have stated that in my first post. Is the Hedman better? I'm not looking to hot rod the car or go racing with it, it's a daily driver. I live way up in the mountains, the car is driven consistently above 8000' in altitude. I'm trying to improve the breathing on the car and have a little more power for climbing the hills out here. Without going way overboard I just want to improve, with minor additions what I consider is an already under powered car. Up here fuel delivery is not a problem, air is. As told by a friend of mine, whom is a retired mechanic for 40+ years, a general rule of thumb is for every 1k' you go up over 6k' you lose about 10% HP and I'm trying to improve on the loss.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 12:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hedeman header is great for microfractures and so is the JBA header. Been there. Waste of money. Went from stock to JBA header and after a bunch of microfractures caused leaks back to stock. No noticeable power gain at all. That was the last straw as far as trying to mod my non turbo PT for more power. A waste of time and a whole lot of money. That's why I went to the turbo. Now there is a platform to make a car fast.

You sure picked the wrong car for the mountains. The turbo laughs at higher elevations.

Last edited by 2004GTMAN; 20 Apr 2011 at 12:19 pm.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 12:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
Hedeman header is great for microfractures and so is the JBA header. Been there. Waste of money. Went from stock to JBA header and after a bunch of microfractures caused leaks back to stock. No noticeable power gain at all. That was the last straw as far as trying to mod my non turbo PT for more power. A waste of time and a whole lot of money. That's why I went to the turbo. Now there is a platform to make a car fast.

You sure picked the wrong car for the mountains. The turbo laughs at higher elevations.
Well noted.

I could not pass up the deal on the car, it's very clean, was well maintained and I only paid 2k for it. Nicer than our old Saturn we had so I'll deal. Back to my original question, has anyone used the Edelbrock header? otherwise what would you recommend?
Old 20 Apr 2011, 02:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004GTMAN View Post
The turbo laughs at higher elevations.
Tis true, my turbo loves to drive up in the mountains, that thinner air seems to make her breathe easier...
Old 20 Apr 2011, 02:27 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15 View Post
I'm sure installation is fairly straightforward-- the bitch is gonna be the lower exhaust manifold bolts-- you'll have to go from the bottom, in most cases.
It is a BITCH.