Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 PT died won't turn over

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2011, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 PT died won't turn over

Wife was driving and as she turned the corner the car shut off. She tried to restart it and nothing happened. I showed up and when I tried to start it, it fired up but shortly there-after shut off.

All the lights, radio, and everything else work.
When I go from Run to Start nothing happens. There is no power draw (lights don't dim).

So after buying a Haynes manual I started some troubleshooting. I replaced the ignition switch thinking that was it and it wasn't. I metered out the Starter Relay and I'm not getting any voltage when turning the key. Any ideas?
Old 20 Apr 2011, 10:10 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 02 PT died won't turn over

There was a post about a problem with the neutral safety switch a few days ago. Could be this if it is an Auto Tranny. Other than this .... try to get some OBDII codes, look for the sticky with the proceedure of getting the codes to appear in the odometer if you have not done this before ..... probably not if you have the Haynes.

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 20 Apr 2011, 11:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You PM's me with more information that you put in the forum and it might be relevant that others see what you've done. tThis is what you said:

She said when she turned the key nothing happened. I tried it once and it started, but died shortly after, and again nothing after turning the key to Start. Now I have replaced the ignition switch, checked all the fuses that I could find that would have anything to do with ignition systems and also the EATX fuse which apparently does something, but everything pans out. All my relays are in order. I also looked at the Neutral switch to make sure that was working properly and it is (turned key to on, put car in R, try to take key out, and it doesn't). Now as I was metering I came to where the Starter relay is, and when the key is turned I'm not getting any voltage to that relay port. I found this out by plugging in a known good relay after testing and that didn't do anything. Also, when I say nothing happens when the key is turned... Nothing happens. Doesn't crank or turn. Plus I tried doing the key dance to get a code and it doesn't give me anything. Not even the usual "DONE". Thanks again
===================================

I personally don't know what the cause is. I'd start with the electrical system including the battery to be sure that's up to par and all the connections are clean and making good contact.
Old 20 Apr 2011, 01:32 pm
Regular Cruiser

We had something like that happen with ours. Our problem was with the battery cables. Apparently where every it is that they connect on the other end was "rotted" away or some crap. I didn't feel like dealing with it and had the dealer replace them, cost about $250. No problems in that area since.

Tags
ignition problems, won't start, won't turn