Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stiff shifting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2011, 02:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Stiff shifting

Car hs been idle most of the month as I drive a different car nin the winter. I started it up today no problems, however I noticed while shifting from (P) to (D) it felt a little stiff, as did the steering wheel. I also noticed the car pulled to the Left alittle which I'm guessing is just low tire pressure. The stiffness contined all day. just looking for some imput. Should I change transmission fluid or just drive it more and see if it was only bc I have not used the car that much.
Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5in Door
Pioneer TS-A6963R 6x9 Rears
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub
Infinity REF5350A 5 Channel Amp
Old 20 Apr 2011, 02:23 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Stiff shifting

Pulling could be a ball joint, tie rod end. If your driving on a straight road and you let go of the wheel does it go left on its own?

Between my wife and kids enough junk had been spilled on the shifter to make it seem stiff. A good tear down and cleaning took care of that stiffness.

Check your power steering cap. Not sure how it happened but our cap came off and was bouncing on the lower end of the alternator belt. I can't make that up. Topped off fluid and was fine after that.

If it sat for a month or so check the spot where it sat for leakage on the ground. Pay attention to the color as that is a great clue as to what it is. Taste works well also
Old 20 Apr 2011, 03:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

How cold was it where you are? How many miles on the car? When was the last tranny service done, with fluid change? Did you look at your power steering fluid - does it seem to be heavy and have any air bubbles floating in it?

Kind of hard to give a straight answer without all the info needed up front. As to the pulling, too many reasons that could be to guess here.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 09:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Read post eight down titled "Hard shifting and no start fixed". It sounds like the shift cable is binding due to corrosion and or dirt.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 04:45 pm
Young Cruiser

the car has about 94,000 on it and as far as I know never had tran service. It was not to cold outside that day. drove it today and noticed the same issue. I checked tran fluid and power steering both look ok. I did not see any sort of leakage. Thinkin about takin it to the garage have them tell me whats wrong with it and see if i can fix it myself.
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub
Old 25 Apr 2011, 05:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Oh not sure if I mentioned but it is a automatic trans, not sure if that changes the shift cable answer.
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub
Old 26 Apr 2011, 03:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes it does, and at that mileage you need a full tranny service. Not something I'd personally take on, as to get it really cleaned out you need the proper equipment. Personally, I'd take it to a tranny shop and have them do a top-down service on it.
Old 09 May 2011, 05:03 pm
Young Cruiser

You guys are not going to believe this. Took the car in to have the suspension looked at and the stiff shift problem fixed. Also had them look at the tight left hand turn problem. My mechanic found nothing wrong at all with the suspension. He said the sturts wwere just fine as well as the other components . He said as far as the stiff shifting thre was nothing that cleaning it could do as it is an enclosed cable. You can imagine my shock, I was prepared to drop some $ gettin it all fixed up.
Is there anything else I could be looking at to fix , because I feel as if the suspension is not as tight as it should be. Anything little that can be put it to make it a little tighter?
Infinity Kappa 12in Sub
Old 11 May 2011, 03:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The steel shift shaft can rust in the aluminum transmission case, see prior posting of Hard shifting and no start fixed on April 27, 2011.

Last edited by fastone; 11 May 2011 at 03:40 pm.