Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP - cam belt and water pump

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Apr 2011, 02:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Default HELP - cam belt and water pump

I realise I may have posted this originally in the wrong forum, my apologies.

Not long bought my first PT, a 2001 2L Petrol with 82,000 miles. I thought that as I could not track down if the cam belt had been replaced, I would get it done and as so many people here said change the water pump at same time I arranged this also.

So I found a local mechanic who said he could do the job and change the pump. I got a call at 1.30pm today to say the guy had just finished stripping down to the cam belt but said there would be another 2-3 hours to get to the water pump. He started at 8:30am so 5 hours to strip it down or 7 if I let him do the pump. At this point I had to make a decision, and, probably unwisely, I had to choose NOT to change the pump. I need the car back.

So my shout for help, is it really a big job once you have got to the cam belt then to get to the pump. He tells me that he has to remove another cover which requires taking off a couple of pulleys.

I think he is taking the mickey.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 06:20 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP - cam belt and water pump

Sorry, but he was probably telling the truth. Although most of us here aren't familiar with the 2.0 liter engine (they aren't made in the U.S.) it's probably really close to our 2.4 liter. A certified Chrysler dealer calls for about 7 hours labor for the belt and water pump so your mechanic isn't telling you anything out of the ordinary.

Good news is that the water pump doesn't have to be changed at the same time as the timing belt and may last a long time, but it does wear out and when it does, the mechanic will need another 5 to 7 hours to replace it by itself. That's why it's recommend that both be done at the same time.
Old 21 Apr 2011, 08:53 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin

I feel better for that, just thought I was being told a few porkies (Porkies = Pork Pies = lies, a little bit of cockney rhyming slang).

Interesting you say the 2L engine was not supplied in US, so this it was an export model only.

Regards
Old 21 Apr 2011, 09:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It would help if you filled out your profile to let us know where you are but YES, if you live in the U.S., the only engine available is the 2.4 liter Turbo and non-turbo.

The 2.0, 2.4 and diesel engines are available overseas. Might have something to do with your auto insurance. I know when I lived in England on and of for 12 years, auto insurance was based on engine size along with other things like where you live and your driving record. The majority of the cars were 1 and 2 ltr engines for good gas mileage and to keep the insurance costs down. The American cars over there had to stay with an American company that insured U.S. personal overseas because if you walked into an insurance agents office with a 5.7 ltr car (like my Corvette which I had over there) the price for coverage would be out of sight.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Apr 2011 at 09:38 am.