Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
i got a question about gas mileage on my pt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Apr 2011, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question i got a question about gas mileage on my pt

my pt is doing really bad in gas mileage is 13.2 in city and on the expressway 15.1 my girl explorer does better mileage in the city and is a v6 can some one explain why? the only change i have done to the pt is new rims now the car haves 18's with N2 in the tires and i have a 08 pt cruiser touring with 14.000 miles .
Old 24 Apr 2011, 06:16 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG
Default Re: i got a question about gas mileage on my pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELxCANDYMAN_305 View Post
my pt is doing really bad in gas mileage is 13.2 in city and on the expressway 15.1 my girl explorer does better mileage in the city and is a v6 can some one explain why? the only change i have done to the pt is new rims now the car haves 18's with N2 in the tires and i have a 08 pt cruiser touring with 14.000 miles .
wow that's bad. Everything is still stock right? I'm sure the plugs and wire haven't been changed, you may want to pull the plugs and check'em out. Maybe try to keep your rpm's under 3500 at all time's, except for getting on the highway. check your air filter make sure it's not dirty.
Old 24 Apr 2011, 10:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Really sounds like you need an oil change and a hi-flow filter. I drive my PT like I stole it and normally get around 16.8 mpg. Been driving the last week very carefully on an extremely dirty air filter, with oil that has 13k miles on it, bad plugs and getting 18.4mpg average! Shocking!

Just replaced plugs, changed oil to Mobil 1, cleaned and recharged my K&N drop in air filter, and can't wait to see what kind of mileage I get now.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:50 am
Cool Cruiser

Wow .... that is really really bad MPG from a car that gets much less MPG than most non owners think it gets. My F150 gets about 1MPG better ... and it is 22 years old now.

I can't think of anything to tell you but bring it back to the dealer and demand one that gets only 20% lower than EPA not 50% lower. Did it ever get 20 city / 25 highway like most of us see? Is in a manual or auto tranny?

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 25 Apr 2011, 04:04 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Not normal. The last tuneup was when? It may only have 14k, but it is three yrs old. Check out plugs are still good and gapped at .040. Replace crappy stock plug wires with some good ones like MSD or Magnecor.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

New here, so I might sound ignorant, but add a bottle of Gumout fuel system cleaner to the tank. My PT has 174000 miles and that really helped. I've read a bunch on here about fuel mileage. It seems weird; everyone complains about MPG with the PTs, but I average about 26-28 city, and 30-33 Highway.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 07:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyCruiser View Post
New here, so I might sound ignorant, but add a bottle of Gumout fuel system cleaner to the tank. My PT has 174000 miles and that really helped. I've read a bunch on here about fuel mileage. It seems weird; everyone complains about MPG with the PTs, but I average about 26-28 city, and 30-33 Highway.
You should sign up for fuelly.com on my link at the bottom of my post and actually enter all the data from when you get gas.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 27 Apr 2011, 10:59 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
You should sign up for fuelly.com on my link at the bottom of my post and actually enter all the data from when you get gas.

I haven't signed up, I have about 98% of my fuel reciepts for the PT with ODO and TripODO since last fillup on them since buying the car 2 years ago. Does Fuelly let me enter all the old data also?

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 27 Apr 2011, 07:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
I haven't signed up, I have about 98% of my fuel reciepts for the PT with ODO and TripODO since last fillup on them since buying the car 2 years ago. Does Fuelly let me enter all the old data also?
I believe they do, fuelly is a lot easier than doing it by hand. I did it for 35 full ups and and I average 22 between city and parkway. If I drive at 55 I can get 29 but I just can't stay at 55.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 27 Apr 2011, 08:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Hey chromenut...I guess I'm not the only one that drive the PT like I stole it I usually get about 16-18 mpg too