PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Replaced the IAC Idle air control valve? Special tool needed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Replaced the IAC Idle air control valve? Special tool needed?

Hi there,

I've got a problem I hope you guys can help me solve. I've got a 2004 PT Cruiser Nonturbo.

SHORT STORY: I want to replace the IAC Valve. Do I need a special tool?

Long story:

I have an irregular idle. Code P0508 popped up once. I checked the air filter and hose, and the vacuum lines. I found my library carries Chilton's online manuals.

Anyway, I found that P0508 code means "Idle Air Control Motor Sense Circuit Low" I want to swap out the IAC valve for a new one.Simple, right? But the procedure says that I should

"Use the scan tool AIS Motor Open/Close Test to retract the pintle"

So now, I don't know if I'm stuck because I don't know what a AIS scan tool is. The rest of the procedure seems very simple except for that part. Am I hosed?

Thanks for your help guys. I'm not super mechanical handy but this seems simple enough and I though I could save a few bucks by doing this myself.
Old 25 Apr 2011, 09:19 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Replaced the IAC Idle air control valve? Special tool needed?

Scan tools thru their programs can actuate various components thru the scan programs. For instance, when my radiator fan went bad, my buddy put the scan tool on it and went to the radiator fan section. There, he was able to enable high speed and low speed fan. When the high speed fan didn't come even after swapping out the relays, I pretty much had my answer. As to which scan tool you need, I am not sure all OBD scan tools are created equal.

As to whether or not you actually need to retract the pintle in order to replace it, perhaps someone on the board with more experience can help out. Sometimes, you can just swap stuff out without the computers.

Make sure your connector is clean and in good shape, that could be causing your code.

alan
Old 26 Apr 2011, 12:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

It didn't occur to me that they were referring to a regular scan tool because it said something about AIS scan tool. It thought they were referring to some propiertary tool.

I'm doing a bit more research and like you said the pintle doesn't always have to be moved. I'm just preparing in case, it has too. I don't want to take apart something and then put it together if I don't have to! It might be good practice but I'd rather get it done the first time :P

I'll take a look at the connections that's a good tip.

Anyone else done one of this jobs? Did you have to move the pintle?
Old 26 Apr 2011, 07:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Back to your original question. No special tools required to take off the IAC and either clean it or replace it. Some have found that a good cleaning with carb cleaner gets it working again. Haven't done it myslef but others have reported dirt and debris inside and around the spring that was causing the malfunction of the controller.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 26 Apr 2011, 09:43 am
Young Cruiser

The service manual states if the pintle is extended past a certain dimension, it needs to be retracted before installation. If not, no problem. I would go with Crewzin's advice. Remove it, hose it down with carb cleaner, check the connector and see what you have. You might not even need a new one.

alan
Old 26 Apr 2011, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the advice! I'm in the middle of taking out the IAC valve to see if cleaning wil solve the problem.

I can only see one mounting screw and I cannot take it out. Are there any other screws I should look for?
Old 26 Apr 2011, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

sorry, I meant to say I took out the ONLY screw I could see holding the valve to the throttle but the valve won't bulge.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't have my car here to look at (I'm up in Virginia with the Grandkids) but if I remember correctly there should be 2 screws on the back of the IAC to take out before it will come off.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Apr 2011 at 07:01 pm.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 06:50 pm
Young Cruiser

Agree with Crewzin. The manual says 2 screws. There are also orings which seal it so it may very well take some gentle wiggling back and forth to get it out.

good luck

alan
Old 26 Apr 2011, 09:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys but it seems like this type of PT Cruiser only had one screw. The Valve was really stuck in there. I had to use a set of grips to get it out. Anyway, I cleaned and it's still running rough. i'll try getting a new one and see if that helps.