Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Member, Have Intake Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2011, 11:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New Member, Have Intake Question

I've got the AirRaid QuickFit system on my N/A PT. I'm trying to dress the compartment up slightly. Where can I find the cheapest intake tubing to go from the box to the throttle body? I've build Spectre DIY kits before, but I'm nervous to relocate the MAF sensor too close to the throttle body with those tubing pieces?
Old 27 Apr 2011, 12:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: New Member, Have Intake Question

I love my SAMCO intake, turbo and water hoses for my VW, unfortunatly they do not have any PT Cruiser specific hoses, but they sell individual hoses which may allow you to reach your goal. If you do get their hoses or any similar, be sure to use their clamps ... the normal worm screw type clamps will cut into the silicone and eventually make it fail .... well at least unsightly.

SamcoSport USA - The World Leader in Performance Silicone Hose

12 Regal Turbo
06 PT - Base with BLING! TRADED 5/27/13
01 PT LE - Kid's Car - TRADED 01/13
01 Beetle Sport - SilverSport - 150+ MPH
93 Del Sol - 32+ MPG
90 F150
73 Mach1
Old 27 Apr 2011, 07:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

There's an auto store near me called Pep Boys and in the intake section of the store they have all the parts needed to make your own. All kinds of straight and curved tubes and different sizes of silicone connections but a half dozen different air filters in every color you can think of.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 07:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Guys. Crewzin, I think you're talking about the Spectre kit stuff. If I used those, I'd have to move the MAF sensor to directly next to the throttle body, and that makes me nervous. I don't want to mess up any ECU signals. (I dont know much about engine computers) It got dirty once and caused my engine to rev to 6000 non-stop. I dont want that again.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Are you sure your not talking about the IAT sensor? Here's a picture of that IAT and that's the only thing (except the small vacuum tube from the valve cover) that moves when you replace any of the air intake. My IAT is only about 3 inches away from the throttle body when I put the short ram intake on and there's no problem. It's just measuring the air density coming into the throttle body so it doesn't matter where it is as long as it's in the stream of air coming in from the filter.

The MAF (MAP) sensor doesn't move unless you get some sort of new upper intake like going from the composite to the plastic upper intake on the turbo models.
Here's the MAP or MAF sensor on the edge of the upper intake.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Apr 2011 at 08:00 am.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 05:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You're right, I was talking about the IAT sensor. Like I said, not good with computers. So it won't hurt if that sensor is a right next to the TB? To utilize the Spectre pieces, I'll need a 45, possibly 90, degree depending on how far out the other piece goes. The other piece being a straight pipe about two-three inches long with censor grommets. That would have to place directly next to the TB because there is not enough cable on the IAT sensor for it to stretch to the filter box.

Speed by Spectre 8707 - Air Intake Vacuum/Sensor Adapter | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Old 27 Apr 2011, 05:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, you can see by mine below, the IAT is inserted into the chrome elbow just a couple inches away from the throttle body entrance. No problem whatsoever.

Old 27 Apr 2011, 05:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah, you can see it more clearly when the pic is blown up. I tried checking on your website, but the pic was too small. I pulled that sensor out once when cleaning the engine bay, got some dirt on it. Left the shop and all off a sudden, it idled at 6000 until I cleaned it out again.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 06:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Understand. The tip of the IAT is very sensitive and can be broken off very easily but as I said, can be placed anywhere in the air intake so it can measure the incoming air so don't be afraid to move it, just be careful and also you want a sealed system so no outside air other than what coming in from the system gets into the intake.

I had a broken rubber grommet where the small vacuum tube entered the intake that let in outside air. The idle was all over the place till I sealed it.

Old 27 Apr 2011, 11:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The AirRaid QuickFit system utilizes the stock tube from the bottom half of the factory airbox. All I need on the tubing is that sensor. Ill use the Spectre pieces.