Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing belt failed, issues with valves?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2011, 05:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt failed, issues with valves?

Here is a question to anyone who can answer...earlier today as I pulled into my drive way my timing belt failed, thank god it was at idle, the engine just died...Before I knew what was wrong I attempted to restart the engine with no luck until after a few minutes it cranked for a sec then died again...Haven't restarted it since it died, I'm currently at 109k...only thing I've done to the engine was change out the camshaft positioning sensor and a K&N air filter for the air box...other than that nothing has been changed, besides the oil and plugs...now to the question, Is it true that the PT's were designed to protect the valves in case something like the timing belt failed? I thought I read about that somewhere but can't remember if it was for my PT or my wife's Stratus...Has anyone had any problems after having their timing belt fail? How hard would it be to change out myself also? Thanks.

2005 PT Cruiser
Touring edition
2.4L DOHC
Old 28 Apr 2011, 06:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt failed, issues with valves?

Yes, the PT has a Non-interference engine. which means the valves can't hit the piston tops when the timing belt fails. After saying that, it has to be said that if the engine is at high revs, the spinning valves can hit each other but of all the hundred of owners that came here with a broken belt only one that I've heard of has ever had problems with the valves.

The job of changing the timing belt isn't for a novice. it's slated by the dealer to take about 7 hours because of the work involved in the small area. Also many have had to do it over and over because everything wasn't lined up properly when it was put back together.

Some have done it without a problem and we even had a report of one owner changing the belt on his back in his driveway. There is a sticky in the Tech section of a step by step on how to change the belt.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 06:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Cruisn...I believe I will take the weekend and work on this in the garage...Thanks again for clarifying my concern...

2005 PT Cruiser
Touring edition
2.4L DOHC
Old 29 Apr 2011, 01:18 am
Senior Cruiser

It's a bitch, that's why it's so expensive. I kissed my valves when I blew my motor, but the timing belt was intact. It was fun.

Honestly, you need to check cylinder compression on each cylinder-- that'll be a tell-tale sign of whether you messed up a valve or not.. It's obviously not 110% guaranteed, but it's a first step.

Old 29 Apr 2011, 07:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok...started the task this morning...I watched the Youtube videos and read through the Haynes Manual and the thread of this website and felt it was worth a try to do this myself...Day one I went to Advance Auto and purchased the belt and water pump and rented the Harmonic balance puller for a total of $204.00 ($107.00 of that will be returned once I turn in the puller). I was able to get the motor mount disconnected (which I have to purchase a star headed connector T55, that cost $5.45), alternator belt and serpentine belt removed, upper and lower timing belt covers off, and removed the timing belt...here is the pic of the belt after. Tomorrow I will remove the back cover to the timing belt so I can replace the water pump and clean the pulley's and surrounding area up...lots of rubber pieces all over the place along with road dirt. I'll take more pics tomorrow, forgot to charge my phone last night...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neil HTC_000178.jpg (93.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Neil HTC_000177.jpg (92.8 KB, 60 views)

2005 PT Cruiser
Touring edition
2.4L DOHC
Old 29 Apr 2011, 08:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

you didn't mention buying the tensioner. a new tensioner is usually replaced along with the belt and water pump. and while you're at it, you might as well get new alternator and serpentine belts. they're cheap enough and as long as you have to put em back on, new will give you peace of mind.
Old 30 Apr 2011, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quick question...Today I'm putting in the water pump but plan to put the new timing belt on to wrap this adventure up...Question is, because my old belt had sheared off all the teeth at the crankshaft, how do I know I'm at TDC in the proper stroke with the crankshaft...also I believe the Camshaft alignment is fine, the belt was still taught up top and the notches were pretty close to alignment...worse case scenario...how would you ensure top and bottom are in proper alignment before putting on the belt and wrapping everything up? Thanks.

2005 PT Cruiser
Touring edition
2.4L DOHC
Old 30 Apr 2011, 09:59 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Don't forget to change the tensioner and the pulley. When I did my wife's the belt look good but the pulley was ready to break ( bearing almost frozen)
Old 30 Apr 2011, 10:14 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama7474 View Post
Quick question...the belt was still taught up top and the notches were pretty close to alignment...worse case scenario...how would you ensure top and bottom are in proper alignment before putting on the belt and wrapping everything up? Thanks.
The belt must be exact, not close or the car won't run right.

Try these threads for info;

Timing Belt Issues

engine vibration

ever replace timing belt in a pt cruiser

Replacing the timing belt 2.4L (without a lift!) -Detail instructions

Remember to rotate the engine 2 complete turns and check the cam marks, they should be dead level with the crank mark lined up. Not one mm off, dead line up or the car will run poorly if at all.

alan
Old 01 May 2011, 04:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Alan, I was able to get the TB back on yesterday, I believe the exhaust cam is one tooth off now...car starts and idles fine, but when I tap the gas to get the RPM's to go up a bit it stalls out after winding back down to idle...I'll take it back apart tomorrow morning and use what you posted...Great information, thanks...I am getting better at taking this TB on and off, I can do it quick now, third time (initially because the teeth on the belt tore of at the crank it allowed it to spin freely, so it was out of alignment...long story short, the first time I put the new TB on the crank was TDC for the Exhaust stroke...car wouldn't start...Second time I brought the crank to TDC for the Compression stroke, car started but didn't do the two complete turns on the crank to see if everything would remain lined up...car sputtered...Third time aligned everything did the two turns on the crank but the exhaust cam mark was one tooth below the compression cam...car idled but stalled if I tapped on the gas. That brings me current, this exact timing thing is tearing my knuckles up...haha

2005 PT Cruiser
Touring edition
2.4L DOHC